Saturday, February 20, 2010

What I Have Learned So Far about NWOE

Its only been about 3 weeks now that I have jumped in head first on the whole foods thing, but lets be honest it was coming eventually.  I knew it.  And you knew it.  ;o)

Here is what I have learned, what I have had to adjust and just overall thoughts:
  1. I certainly don't miss meat.  No big surprise.  This is actually easy for me since I rarely ate it anyway.  Sure I might have a 'hankerin' for it during Lent, but I have to resist obviously, and after that I have already deemed myself to be a lacto ovo flexitarian :o).  I dont even miss fish.  Yet.  Although today at the cafeteria I did kind of stare at the baked filets...but it was full of God knows what anyway...still...  :O)
  2. Shopping for food takes planning.  If you just go into Whole Foods etc. willy nilly you WILL spend too much.  There is so much there that looks fabulous, and yes a lot of things ARE more expensive, so if you aren't careful...However, I had an old box (as in at least a year I am guessing) of Kraft Mac and Cheese in the cupboard, and I had bought a box of Annies and I compared the ingredients.  I almost feel over.  What is IN that box of Kraft?  First ingredient:  Enriched macaroni PRODUCT.  WTH?  Not even REAL macaroni?  Jeez.  Enough said I hope.  You also need to plan because, like me, I over bought the first couple of times because I didnt plan and I bought too much stuff and then find yourself trying to cook everything into something before it goes bad.  What?  What?  Before it goes bad?  Yes people, REAL food goes bad.  :o) 
    1. So since I am still learning new things to make, I print out the recipes, figure what I want special that week, and add what I need to my grocery list.  The rest of my list is basics:  veggies, Greek yogurt, some pieces of fruit, eggs, things like that.  Things that are staples and I eat more often than not.  This has helped tremendously on the receipt total and also on not wasting anything!  You dont need to buy up the store with mindless things because its cheap you know?  Like I only bought 3 bananas and 2 apples.  I dont need 8 bananas or 14 apples.  Now those 3 bananas and 2 apples were very much appreciated when I did eat them. 
  3. You dont eat as much.  No really.  The food is so much better tasting that, at least for me you don't eat as much.  Plus yeah take into play the extra costs and you eat less possibly but the amount of nutrition you get is astronomical compared to food 'products'.  Plus its been proven that after about 3 bites of a food, your taste buds check out.  Meaning you're brain is what thinks it tastes so good, not your mouth.
    1. I suppose that applies to relationships, at least bad ones...it tastes bad after a few months but yet you stay in it?  Insert Daddy's sour milk in the refrigerator anecdote here. :O) WTH?  Sorry, off on a tangent.
  4. I have learned to savor not only each meal, but in some cases each bite.  Some things taste so good, and you can only have so much you know (portion control) so when you are having it, you really pay attention to the actual experience of the food.  Awesome.  I especially learned this on Ash Wednesday on my one meal.  I knew it was my one meal and it tasted SO good, that I took my time enjoying every last single fork/spoonful. I actually will admit to closing my eyes a couple of times as I took a glorious bite.
    1. Made me also reflect on those that go without meals every day and sometimes without food for a day or more!  I mean honestly...It was truly a sad moment when I thought of it like that when I was going on one meal for 24 hours, I wanted to just 'die', but then there are those, here in our own backyards, with nothing.
  5. I prefer Stoneyfield over Chobani as far as Greek yogurts go.  I bought 2 of each, and yeah.  Stoneyfield is mo betta to me.  I love the Lemon one! 
Thats it for now!

    6 comments:

    MCM Mama said...

    Is there a Trader Joes near you? I prefer their Greek yogurt over all the others. I buy the plain, non-fat and add just a little bit of maple syrup and some walnuts. YUM!

    junie b said...

    No trader Joe's here unfortunately...I might try a different brand this week just to see...

    Mel said...

    Fage is my favorite Greek, but it's also the most expensive. Even if I buy it at Costco, my yogurt habit would cost me $16 a week! Don't bother trying Greek Gods if you haven't already, it's awful, has less protein, and its thin.

    I totally agree with the planning. I only buy what is needed to replenish my staples and what is needed for recipes for the week. Less waste and less temptation to eat random crap. I will also say having awesome produce, I am less likely to let it go bad. It's so pretty and tasty, it rarely lasts very long and even Dan can't resist good fruit and veggies

    Junie B said...

    i bought Fage today and also a couple of Oikos :)

    Junieb said...

    also if i factor in the fact that i make my own lunch AND breakfast the amount i save on that alone makes up for the xtra cost at the grocer :)

    Jill said...

    I agree - Fage is the best! I get the plain and put berries in it.