Monday, February 22, 2010

Kenyan Way - Hills Workout (and Circuit Training)

5 miles total.

4 miles on hills:  Progressive mile repeats (each 'clover' is 1/4 mile, and there are 4 of them); up one, down the other up one, down the other...

2 MR in between miles.  Start out with 1st mile at marathon pace (10:17ish based on last marathon training time), getting fast each time, ending with 5K pace (8:45ish pace); or 30 min maximum.  Well I already knew I was going to go over 30 minutes which was fine...I know what I'm doing ;o)

I really wanted to do 4 (miles) of these (hills) today because tomorrows workout is going to be cut short with the trainer due to the fact that I am off to Hobby Center to see Cirque de Soleil  (Dreams)!!! 

Weeee!!!  So excited; I have been to 2 of their shows in Vegas when I lived there and also on visits (I've seen Mystere twice!)  Anyway couple that with the fact that I had a piece of birthday cake today at work...tomorrow it is going to be tough enough to get 4 miles in AND at least part of my weights workout and get out of there in time to get home, showered, etc., in time before my carriage arrives!!  ;o)

Hill workout complete;  did a warm up mile with Emma.  First mile (on hills) was WAY too fast to start out... (9:00 flat by her watch)...so I just kept it at 9:00 for the following 2 just running slightly behind her and friend (cant remember her name right now; new girl).  Then I wanted to do that 4th one, and was telling Coach as he was about to leave, and this one girl (Anastasia) walked up and she had to do 1 more.  I asked how fast she ran and she said "7:30ish".  Coach laughed and said 'yeah run with her'...I took it as a challenge.  Thankfully she had a watch and guess what?  I clocked an 8:09 on my last mile of hills!!  Go me!  Now I dont know if she slowed down for me, or if that '7:30ish' meant 8:00ish or what but I was actually in front of her most of the way or she would catch up so I dont know...all I know is that I ran that thing and to be honest I think I could have gone faster had she been in front of me and I had to fight to keep up.

Then after I got home and before having my scrumptious chili made last night in the slow cooker, I embarked on this workout:

Circuit A

Push Ups: Do 12-15. Mix in variations if you like (like one foot on top of the other, or even a small weight on your back)  I used by stability ball.

Single Leg Squats: With one foot off the ground, bend down into squat, keeping your hips back and chest up. Do 8-12 each leg

Abs exercise of choice, like alphabet plank. Do for 1 minute. Abs exercise of choice, like ball plank. Do for 1 minute.  I actually use my stability ball and lay flat on the floor, put the ball between feet and lift up legs and arms, switch the ball from feet to hands, go back flat, repeat.  1 set of 15.

Wall squat: Squat with your back against the wall and your thighs parallel to the ground. Hold the position for as long as you can.

Punches: Holding light dumbbells (or nothing at all), throw light punches in front of you, twisting at your core. Punch 100 times.  I used 3 lb weights at home.

Burpees: Stand up, squat down in frog position, kick your legs out behind you so you’re in the “up” push-up position (do a push-up here if you want). Thrust your legs forward to frog position and stand up. That’s 1. Do 6-8.

Rest 5 minutes.  Repeat circuit.

Circuit B

Dumbbell Rows: Bend at your waist so your back is parallel to the ground. Holding dumbbells, pull them up to your sides. Do 12-15 on each side.  I used a 15 lb weight at home.

Squat Jumps: Lower yourself into a squat so thighs are parallel to the ground. Spring up into a jump. As you land, lower yourself into squat position. Do 8-12.

Abs exercise of choice, like ball plank. Do for 1 minute.  I actually use my stability ball and lay flat on the floor, put the ball between feet and lift up legs and arms, switch the ball from feet to hands, go back flat, repeat. 1 set of 15.

Squats on BOSU: Squat on some kind of wobbly surface like a BOSU ball. Do 8-12.  Since I dont have a BOSU, I just did squats :)

Warrior 3: In this yoga pose, you’ll look like a T with one leg as the base, and other leg and upper body going parallel to the ground. Hold for 30 seconds on each leg.

Surfing Pop-Ups: Lie face down on the floor with your hands on ground next to your shoulders. In one fluid movement, push up and thrust your legs up and under your body so you end up in a surfboard position (knees bent, standing sideways).

Rest 5 minutes. Repeat circuit.

I then ate dinner!


1.5 cups of veggie chili with a dollop of sour cream
10 Stacys Naked Pita Chips
Perfection!

And then it was time frozen-water-bottle-rolling action on the left foot....while thankfully NOT watching the Olympics tonight...that hockey game last night about wore me out!  :o)  The icing is definitely helping.  Didnt hurt at all today/tonight till after the workout...but nothing like on Saturday.

Stupid rocks.

No comments: