Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Arriba! Arriba! NOT!

Today was one of those days.

One of those days where the last thing I want to do is run.  I think the hill workout plus yesterdays extra long gym workout caught up with me today...

Well that is not entirely true.  What the thing about it is that its speed workout day.  Not that I loathe THAT, because I love the shorter distance speed training, but because Coach is at Memorial Park on speed days, THATS what I hate about it.

First off, I have to go home and veg out for a while before heading over, and also the fact that its a pain in the buttocks to get over there (although its close in proximity) really makes me not want to go.

So in keeping with #71 of MJ's running 'rules' I am going to implement the 'run from your front door' plan tonight just as I did every Wednesday during speed workouts for marathon training.  I love this route especially on beautiful days like today!  Sunshine, cool temps (50 at start of run)...low humidity.

The other part is that by Wednesday the thought of not getting home till 7:30 just makes me that more tired; and besides this is my last Wednesday for 9 weeks that have to actually NOT HAVE to drive over there (I will be coaching PIM on Wednesday nights there after speed starting next Wed)...besides once the time changes and its lighter longer, I seem to be ok with getting home later...

This way I get home, get it done and be home in just about time for the 6:00 news :o)  However, even on the drive home I just wasnt feeling it but all I could do was try right?

I had 6 miles on the schedule to do, and well my 'route' from home is exactly that; a perfect little loop that I do quite often...so incorporating speed into it is quite easy actually...

Speed portion (expected)
1600m between 8:12 - 8:19  (I never once thought that this was going to happen.  Not today.)
  800m between 4:02 - 4:07  (doable)
  400m between 1:54 - 1:59  (doable)

I ran the 1.5 miles to Rice as my warm up.

Speed portion (actual) - done around the trail loop at Rice

1600m - 8:39
4MR
  800m - 4:08
4MR
  400m - 1:56

I then rested for another 4 minutes and started the 2.75 mile cool down run back to mi casa.  Just wasnt my day and I knew it beforehand.  Maybe I sabotaged myself, I dont know.

The one thing is that every time I would stop (and even now) I have this weird crampy knotty thing in my left calf.  Probably just residual from hills.  I am cutting the running short tomorrow and just focusing on weights and abs.  I dont want any issues on Saturday to hold me back on the longer run (which this week is a cut back week; only 8 miles).

I have some food stuff to post (new recipe (quinoa meditterean style; i think i mis-spelled that; and pictures) but I am tired and will get to it tomorrow...I steamed the last of the massive amt of fresh spinach I had bought, placed it in the bowl, topped with the last of the veggie chili (one cup), added a bit of feta cheese on top and it was FANTASTICO!!  There in the corner I placed about a tbsp of the quinoa...Staceys Naked Pita chips, which I didnt end up eating, and no thats not wine in the glass, I just thought I would use a pretty glass tonight!



Right now I am going to settle in and watch Julie and Julia!  I saw it at the movies, but I just love it!  Nothing on Olympics tonight that I care to see..

No comments: