Sunday, February 28, 2010

Saturday Long (ish) Run and Date Night

Since a lot of KW'ers were either in Ft Worth for Cowtown, in New Orleans for the RnR or as the majority were here in Houston were doing the annual Rodeo Run, Coach had sent out email that since it would be lightly attended and actually a cut back week for most, the route would be base to MP; add on as needed around bayou, I decided no way was I getting up at 5am to run 8 miles :o)

So I slept in (till 6:30ish) and just before 8am I took off from mi casa and headed towards Memorial.  Now I figured since the parade started at 10, that all the trail riders would be long gone, but I was wrong!  As I was headed up Memorial towards the park I met them head on!  It was fantastic!  All the covered wagons, horses and what-not put a pep in your step.  I just wish I would have brought my phone for pictures!  I ran down to Picnic Lane and then turned back and they were still coming out of the park!  So as I ran back up Memorial towards Shepherd, I ran along side of them, passing and keeping step to all the music blaring from so many of the wagons.  It was hard to navigate the sidewalk since all the people were watching their trail to downtown Houston, so I ended up just running on the street till I got back past Starbucks.

Nothing else stood out, just a great morning for a run; about 45 deg, the furious winds had died down from the night before and the sun was shining brightly!  The good thing about this route is that I have water fountains all along the way and even if I had to do 10 miles, adding on at the park gives me not only more water stops to pick from but also bathrooms!  Its just a good route for me when I want/have to do a longer run by myself.

Average pace: 10:14

********************************************

I stepped outside of my comfort zone and went out with someone I might not normally have given a chance really.  Its clear that I didnt make a wise choice within my comfort zone...so it was time...He's older than I am first off, and as I mentioned before not a runner (but he does play a lot of golf)...but we went out and I really had a great time.  He owns 3 companies, in Louisiana and in Nevada...recently divorced, grown children, and small grandchildren... I visited his home and I must admit I probably had my jaw on the ground for a long time...I dont think I have EVER been in a home like this...6000 sq feet, butts up to a man-made lake, and decorated like something out of a magazine (he has this baby grand piano that you can set to play music all on its own, and the keys are actually moving!, which made for really nice 'white' noise...Not really more that I care to go into because its early you know :)  But I really did like him...its a nice change to be with someone that has more to talk about than just running...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Hopefully his food choices are more varied than Whataburger and Olive Garden!