Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Cluck You and the Chicken You Rode In On

Here is something that bothers me.  A few weeks back, on Facebook I started a firestorm of a comment roll (JH gets the credit!) when I talked about the 'manufacturing' of chickens (actually goes for all livestock); that they are corn fed so that they 'mature' faster (get em to market), 'grow' more chickens (to feed the masses and masses and masses); so much out of nature that they grow so fast that their bones don't mature at the same level and therefore can't handle the body weight etc....

Anyway...last night a commercial came on for Wings and More I believe it was, that said 'a million wings a day sold'...

Now OK, heres my first thought...1 million wings is 500,000 chickens.  A day.  Thats just for Wings and More (think of all the others, and KFC, and...and.. ).  And I am thinking chicken wings as in with bones...are you kidding me?  Tell me that somewhere in this country, or any other, or combined for that matter, if you aren't 'growing' chickens at an enormous rate how in the hell are you going to have THAT many chickens to give people chicken wings?!?!? Or as in the case of boneless wings (see below)..

Now heres the kicker...the 'boneless' wings?  You think somewhere someone is yanking out those little bones and making cute little perfectly shaped boneless pieces of fried stuff so many people like (not me by the way, just not my deal)?

Think again.  Those boneless chicken wings you're eating?  They're no more than overpriced McDonalds chicken nuggets which are not anywhere near 'real' chicken without a bunch of 'other' chicken parts in there...not to mention God knows what else...

No comments: