Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Baby Steps...But Wow Do I Feel Grrreat!

Well I guess it’s been just over a week now since I fully embraced the whole possibility of going vegetarian (for life) … and at the very least during Lent. I have eaten ‘meat’ twice since; fish one evening, and then there was ground turkey in the chili I had at a Superbowl party, but it wasn’t enough to amount to much, but still…I am pretty sure what I will become is a ovo-lacto ‘flexitarian’… :o)


Several things I have noticed along the way so far (and cant completely give credit to the eating habits just yet, but still):
  • • You are more ‘regular’ than you can ever imagine…now as a runner this is very important as you know ;o), but wow. I get enough of fat in there, so I am not over-fibered if you know what I mean ;o)  I never had an issue with this really, but daaaaaaaaaaang....  :o)
  • • I am sleeping better. Not that I am tired, but just that I sleep and through the night…not entirely certain this has to do with my eating habits of late, but the no processed/whole foods approach might be the reason
  • • I ‘look’ leaner. Now this, in conjunction with the running and the addition of strength training and cycling since the marathon is a big factor as well. 
  • • I ‘feel’ skinny. Not lean. SKINNY. You know that word you always want to hear someone say sometimes…wow, you’re skinny. And then you’re like, nu-uh. But….yeah, I FEEL skinny. I still have a bit to go, but man. I need to go shopping. I spend more time hiking up my jeans these days cause they are too loose…I know. Poor baby. A lot of it has been lost in my legs which is completely unusual for me…but oh thank you Baby Jesus!
  • I feel healthier...and that is really what this is all about afterall!!!  The skinny is just a by-product!!!
  • • I look forward to going to the grocer! So much to choose from; you really have to plan your meals (at least I do) for the week otherwise you might end up with too much and since its all fresh, its gonna go bad…boo! Hiss! Plus if you plan your meals in advance, its easier to stay on budget, therefore erasing the ‘its too expensive to eat healthy’ notion…I still owe that post and will get to it eventually
  • • More energy. This of course translates to better workouts. Not sure its going to help today on my speed workout…I am pretty sore…

Going back to that whole excited about the grocer thing and having a list…There are so many things I want to try (thanks to all the new blogs I have been introduced to!) that I could spend a small fortune in Whole Foods! Baby steps though..just like with the whole new way of eating…Which I am just falling in loooooooooove with!!!

Oh, and I received my new book, Ominvore’s Dilemma and just started reading it today…Also I should be getting the documentary titled “King Corn” which was referred to me, so I will be anticipating watching that as well…

 Speaking of movies…total 180 here, but over the weekend at the Superbowl party and on Facebook there is a discussion between a few of us Coen Brothers fans about some of the scenes in No Country for Old Men…which I need to watch some of it again…but anyone that has seen it…If Chigurd (or however you spell it) was hit in his car on the passenger side, would his left or right arm be broken…?) Oh and do you think he killed the wife at the end, and do you think he had the money? And where was his gun? He always had his gun… I don’t recall hearing a gun shot at the end, so if he did kill her (he looked at his boots as he left as if looking for blood), then HOW did he do it??? Things to ponder… I MUST watch it again this weekend I guess…

 OK I have rambled on enough for now…but just one last thing, really try and read some of the blogs on the my new blog roll…they are fantastic and can give great alternatives to eating well and still be able to indulge from time to time…the photos alone are amazing and I have a few recipes to try out!! Although I am getting pretty good and coming up with some scrumdelicious on my own! I am even starting to take photographs of food to add here as well!!!
 
Oh and remember...If it came from a plant, eat it, if it was made in a plant, don't.

TTFN!!

2 comments:

TX Runner Mom said...

Love that movie and great things to ponder!

Tammy said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog.

I've been contemplating following a more vegetarian diet, but haven't had the time to really figure it all out.

I recently watched Food Inc. It was a real eye opener for me. Gave lots of moment of thought about what I put in my mouth that isn't as healthy as I'm lead to believe.

Good for you noticing your body getting leaner and more fit. Feels good, doesn't it!