Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Houston Do You Have a Problem?

Someone posted this link in an Anonymous comment today.  And Anonymous visits my blog often which is great! and I even see where their IP hits originates from too :o)  They also appear to have found me via another blog on which I am linked and they really like my blogroll :)

I am not certain, but I think Anonymous thinks maybe I might have a problem?

As I responded to their comment, as to this particular excerpt from the article states:

Refusing to touch sugar, salt, caffeine, alcohol, wheat, gluten, yeast, soya, corn and dairy foods is just the start of their diet restrictions.

There is nothing in that list that i dont eat (or drink)...well i dont drink alcohol very much, but I still would if I wanted to.  The fact that I choose to eat healthy, avoiding processed foods is one thing...however no where ever have I said I was avoiding any particular food group and/or item.  If you go back into the blog and continue to see, I eat my fair share of the food rainbow thank you very much...

But I do appreciate your concern.

I get looks and questions all the time at work, and I am certain there are others that I know that think I've 'gone off the deep end' but that just makes me laugh to be honest.  I think people judge, contradict and fight anything 'good' because most of the time its their lack of understanding, or refusing to accept that people actually LOVE the way good-for-you-real-food tastes.  Hey I dont judge others for what they eat, I'm just against the fact that people continue...ah never mind...

People gave me a hard time for smoking a pack a day back when (amongst other bad habits I had)...I mean out and out were mean about it...I listened to preachy this and preachy that for God knows how long, and those same people for the most part, fill their bodies with crap, are overweight, sedentary and I would say about 85% of the time they are complaining about either how tired they are, or how they dont feel good...

I know this isn't just happening to me?  Does anyone else take grief for wanting to eat better, exercise, live longer and be in the best shape (and I dont mean weight wise either) that they can be?

10 comments:

T- said...

I don't typically read your comments but I wanted to tell you that I love reading your blog! and I love that you are such an encouragement to me and that you are on one of the few people who I honestly believe knows the stuff you talk about. Thank you for always letting me ask away and always for being willing to share the knowledge you have :)

MJ said...

So now eating healthy is a disorder?? I enjoy steak, pizza, and beer...but all in moderation. I hate the look I get at a restaurant when I get a basic salad with chicken breast. It's like 'oh, she's ordering that to impress her husband, because she's a girl'. No...I'm ordering that because I don't want the rock in my gut that you're going to have after your double-layered cheese fries and fried-whatever on the side. As for running, I get comments all the time from co-workers about how I'm 'crazy' for wanting to run a half marathon. A) They have obviously never heard of ultra-marathons (my dream one day!) and don't realize how small a HM is! and B) 90% of my co-workers are overweight, tired, cranky, etc...while I'm bouncing around the office with energy. Geesh.

Junie B said...

T: THANK YOU!! I try and do as much research as I can and balance it all out, and then actually DO some of it so that I can at least write about it as personally as I can you know? I can only go off what I have learned/experienced/tried/failed etc at over the past few years ..

MJ: same here girl. same here. I have to keep my tongue in check a lot because...well...i just get aggravated at all the i'm so fat, im not eating today, im on the so and so diet this week, stuff i hear DAY IN AND DAY OUT! :o)

on Monday it was birthday cake day for jan and feb. 3 people said they didnt want any (overweight) because they were on 'diets'.

On tuesday guess what they had for lunch? Popeyes chicken, red beans, and white rice.

I kid you not.

Pony and Petey said...

I need to let you know how much I appreciate you sharing all the nutrition info with us and for me, especially, I'm so thankful that you are writing about this and linking to good-eating blogs because this is what I need right now!

You are inspiring me to make changes here and there... to return to the kind of healthy eating that I know leads to feeling great and looking great! I've slowly gotten away from it...since we moved from the country to the city where so many convenience foods are available. I'm not talking about fast-food restaurants, just grocery store stuff.

Anyhow, THANK YOU!!!

Unknown said...

I have been reading your blog for awhile now, and you have inspired me to stop eating beef.
I had already stopped eating fast food years ago, now if I could get the strength to stop "treating" myself to Mexican once a week, that includes a margarita.

One thing I love hearing at work when someone sees me eating something is,"Oh my gosh, you actually do eat."

Keep up the good work!

Junie B said...

CC: thank you! i wish i could still treat myself to Mexican food once a week, and I could i suppose, but until i get the rest of the weight off :)

i had said that if i hit my goal time at marathon that was what i was going to do, however, i didnt.. :(

they never say that to me at work cause i do eat and often...its the actual food i eat that they seem to have a problem with? weird...i tell ya a piece of cake beats out Popeyes greasy fried chicken EVERY TIME for me!! :)

i am on day 8 of no meat whatsoever, and will be blogging about THAT sometime today!

Fe-lady said...

I always took a LOT of flak at work for eating healthily. In fact one of my principals who used to pass around a candy dish during meetings, looked at me with my after-work apple snack and commented in front of the whole group-"Oh, that's right, you only eat healthy stuff"-
"EFF U" is what I wanted to say...or "well if you ate like me maybe you would lose those 20 pounds you need to.."
People are just jealous! And I don't restrict myself-I eat caffeine, alcohol, sugar, dairy, gluten...etc.
I just move a lot and don't over indulge. Keep doing what you are doing...just keep everything in moderation.
Just stop tho if you find yourself writing down every calorie in every almond or grape you eat....that's eating disorder time!

Junie B said...

ha! exactly! i get a lot of "yeah and June is gonna lead us all in a run around the building after we eat all this food (whenever we have pot lucks)...

and as far as tracking calories? i dont track calories, let alone write down everything i eat!!

and i STILL stop and buy my 32oz fountain diet coke EVERY single morning on my way in to work..give up caffeine? thats just crazy talk!

NY Wolve said...

Eh, I wouldn't worry too much about how others eat. Most people don't eat well, and I bet know it. Thus, seeing someone eat well is a reminder of their own failing or choice that they have made and one that I bet they wish they could do differently.
I restrict myself when I am on a diet (like now). And that can be challenging. But I know the results are what I strive for, and it won;t last forever. And then it is back to moderation.

So live your life the way you want to, I say.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on all the healthy changes you're making!

I'm just curious. What was your typical dinner (breakfast, lunch, snack) before? How drastic of a change is this for you?