Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Preparing for Lent....

So I have decided, based on some recent revelations (which will be covered in other posts)...that for starters, I am giving up meat completely for Lent.  And after some pondering this will include fish as well.  However there is no way I am giving up eggs or dairy.  :o)  I eat A LOT of eggs (or rather egg whites, but still)...this makes me an 'lacto-ovo-vegetarian'...no way could I ever be full on vegan!!

Growing up, during Lent, we didn't eat meat on Fridays, but were still allowed seafood...I figured if I am going to make a sacrifice for 40 days (and perhaps longer than that), then I need to feel the full effects of it.  Now I don't eat a lot of meat anyway, but I do eat chicken, fish and turkey...that will all cease on February 17th, the start of Lent.

So in light of the impending sacrifice, I am going to start weaning myself off of all of it now...So far today my diet has consisted of: 1 breakfast taco (egg whites, refried beans, jalepenos) for breakfast.  Handful of animal crackers for a snack and right now eating my lunch consisting of:  spinach, broccoli, corn and a bit of steamed potato.  Our cafeteria allows a vegetable plate which I didnt know about till I asked...go figure...

I have a slice of whole grain bread with PB for a snack later, or with my animal crackers...Dinner will more than likely be either steamed vegetable dumplings or just some mixed steamed veggies. 

I think I will go one day on, one day off (besides I have to rid the house of any meat that is left; which I was going to do anyway, due to the fact that its 'tainted' (not ethically raised) meat!!) until Ash Wednesday...I plan to monitor not only my mood(s), but my skin, overall appetite (satiated or forever starving?), eating habits, effect on workouts and of course my weight/overall body shape, which I am already monitoring.

As a matter of fact this morning, the first 2 pairs of slacks I put on were so big that even with the button and zipper done, I could just pull them down with no effort.  WAY too big...Thankfully I have kept some jeans from the 'old' skinny days (replacing jeans is WAY expensive), but even my one pair of jeans that are the 'stomach flu skinny' are a big baggy...I have taken to actually TRYING to shrink my jeans in the dryer whereas for years I NEVER put them in for fear of them shrinking!!  I did put 2 pair in the 'to go' pile with the slacks though as they are ridiculously baggy on me...

I should have weighed yesterday or today, but I didnt because I feel 'puffy', and I didnt want to see a number I didnt like... :o)  Will more than likely just wait this week out and just pick up next week :o)

****************************************

Yesterday had my session with the weights, only about 1.5 hours though, and unlike what I said (NO CARDIO!), I did get on the treadmill for 15 min of cardio at the end  :o) ...  So almost 2 hours...

6 comments:

Mel said...

Go you! you are strong, know you can do it :-)

I used to give up Mexican food, but I don't eat it near as often anymore, so I stopped that last year.

Last year I gave up all bread and pasta. This included all baked goods too, but I don't really eat those anyhow. It was HARD, especially my friend's wedding weekend (rehersal dinner on a Friday during lent was the worst!).

I kind of hoped that cutting those things out would make a difference in my midsection, however it did not :-( Wishful thinking

Junie B said...

Mel: you are so thin already, but if you didnt eat those things a lot anyway, not too surprising that it didnt make a difference. poo. I am wondering what the elimination of meat(s) will do with the obvious increase in other foods.

I think people sometimes forget that the whole thing behind Lent is to give up something that IS a sacrifice...that IS hard...i pondered for one second one day to give up running FOR 40 DAYS!, then i just laughed out loud. that would be IMPOSSIBLE; besides that's GOOD for me, so I shouldnt give THAT up... :O) keep me posted on what you decide on giving up this time around!

ps. i cannot tell you the last time i ate mexican food or was in a mexican food restaurant!!!! and i dont even miss it; i had pretty much just started ordering cerviche anyway, so thats not like 'mexican' food anyway right!!??

Mel said...

I didn't really eat baked goods (thinking cookies, cakes, etc). I did eat a moderate amt of pasta and some bread(whole grain of course). And I do eat tortillas, mostly corn, some wheat on occasion.

I may do it again this year. It was hard, but that is the point, right?

Although, dang it, looks like no night before race pancakes before Dallas which is during lent. I've found this year that I've had really good races with pancakes for dinner the night before, lol! Maybe that is just a fluke.

Junie B said...

if i ate pancakes the night before a race i dont think i could run!!! although a pop tart before a race works like a charm...unfortunately i didnt have any this past weekend ;)...not that THAT would have made a diff with the freaking wind and cold!!!

NY Wolve said...

No meat? I could never do that. But I could give up red meat. It is funny, I eat so little red meat now as an adult versus when I was a kid. I may have steak once a week, but that is really it.
In church (I am Protestant in a very Yankee Protestant church), our pastor encouraged us to use Lent to become introspective. To re-evaluate the way we view things, even if it did not mean "giving something up.' he encouraged us to simply think differently about something. Not to sacrifice per se, but just consider a different perspective.
So good luck with that. I may follow your example, make a change for Lent and then blog about it as a way to enforce the commitment.
But I have 2 weeks to think that out....

JB said...

yeah, i already dont eat red meat...only chicken, fish and turkey.

and i figure the last few months have been A LOT of 'looking at things differently' and 'from a different perspective'..i know i certainly have seen the light so to speak and sometimes i wonder "really? THAT is what you wanted out of life?"

the answer is emphatically NO!!!

i feel like a brand new person! i REFUSE to let my past problems define me in 2010!

i will be keeping my eye on you NYWOLVE!!