Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Go Sell Crazy Somewhere Else...

I read a lot of blogs, and this one in particular always has an interesting post more often than not.  I don't get to them (all the blogs) as often as I should, and by the time I do, I have a lot of ground to make up.  This week I found this little gem of a read...

Its odd that this post should come around now, because I have been thinking about this very same thing and wondering how to put it into words without coming across as crass, or even holier than thou...fine line you know?

I think, by nature, first off, OCD tendancies don't occur out of nowhere.  They may be hidden for a very long time, and not rear their head till such a time as with health, fitness and food etc.,

For me, I have always had OCD to varying degrees, and honestly, in my case, as its been pointed out, I am more 'addicted' than 'obsessed'.  I have always had an addictive personality, and because of that, yes, have always traded one addiction (or obsession) for another...And yes now I realize that that is EXACTLY what I have done. 

Again.

Since October, I have been completely off the charts as to my weight and the loss of it.  Initially its because I wanted to get faster (at running).  Then it was to look better [read: skinny].  But also underneath it all it was to be able to 'control' something as it seemed as if I had no control anywhere else in my life.  The one thing I had focused on completely for a couple of years was no longer a source of frustration, constant feelings of defeat and worthlessness...I had nothing but myself to focus on and fret about for a change. 

I could control what I eat.  And how much I run.  And how much I exercise.  And how I look.  The added bonus was that even though I hadn't realized it for so long, I could control how I feel.  I had let someone dictate that for way too long.

This I believe was a turning point in my life.  And more than likely one that might have saved it, if just my sanity and overall well-being.

Now before I go any further, remember the disclaimer I made a while back...I am not writing this blog for anyone in particular other than myself, and my thoughts and opinions are exactly that.  Mine.  Also remember that in no way, shape or form, are the majority of those directed at any one person in particular, so if I offend anyone, my apologies in advance.  I think I have a lot to offer, so for those that take advice away from here, apply it and succeed thats great!  I know some of you do, and have, and will continue to do so...

The writer of the blog posts makes several statements to which I immediately responded to; and when I say responded, I mean I either took a deep breath, said "yeah!" and so on...I mean that what he had to say, at least to me, had some merit.  I know that there are some of you out there, right now, reading this, and if you know me, you might have even experienced some 'concern' about my 'obsession' with getting thinner (faster), and my over-zealous desire to do more, more, more in the way of exercise.  And I know...I know...I can see the wheels spinning already...

And I get why you might think that.  And I also get that some people will be concerned for maybe what might be ok to be concerned about, and then others, not so much.  I think there lies some 'ugh, you shouldnt be doing that, you're going to get sick, hurt, etc., when really its just a way of attempting some sort of sabotage first off, and secondly to make it seem ok that you dont think like me, or have the willpower or desire to make a better life.  Or rather, be concerned with my health and longetivy .. You should be concerned, and quite honestly, healthy, active people like myself worry more about those that aren't than you do about us!!!

As he states, we become the habits we choose and practice.  It becomes a part of life, and no longer a question on this or that?  While some may think that I am the crazy one, am I really?  I feel great, I require less sleep, I'm active, I look younger than my age (or so I'm told and I tend to agree), I'm never sick....how can any of this be bad for me?

Yet I see more and more words like "I am soooooooo tired"...."I need a nap"...."I dont have any energy"...."I am so hungover"...."OMG I ate soooooooooo much"..."My knees (or insert any other body part) hurt"..."I dont have time"...thats my all time favorite..."I need to lose weight, or exercise, but I am too full, tired, sick, hungover, dont have any energy to do so, and plus I dont have the time (but I do have time to lay around and watch 14 hours of tv, or go out and drink or sleep in cause you're hungover"....guess what...?

I worry about others who don't take their health seriously...  A little obsessivness (addiction) goes a long way...go on...try and convince me I'm wrong...

Most recently I read this and thought, wow, that is so true (and will sign off with this as well):  It's the same reason that people tell me that running is "bad for my knees" or that I'm "crazy" for running every day. I should tell them that they're crazy for drinking beer, smoking, and watching television. Drinking beer is a lot worse for you than running, right?

One thing that I find funny (but also troubling) is that making fun of people for smoking, drinking, eating gross manufactured non-food items or being overweight (especially women) is taboo, but making fun of people for dedication to fitness is widely acceptable.
If a female boss sarcastically remarks to me "Ooohhh, Mr. Big Marathon Runner, thinks he's all important because he ran eight miles today" she's likely to be greeted with a roomful of laughs. If I reply with "So, did you always have a huge gut, or did you just pack on the freshman fifteen for four straight years?" - most likely I'll be greeted with audible gasps and harsh stares for making fun of her weight.

7 comments:

TX Runner Mom said...

Whoa, I have a long list of people I'd like to send both your post and the other post to...but of course, I'll refrain. I know this sounds terrible, but I often take the kids to the pool in the summer and while I don't have a great body (still working on it though!), I look at some of the other moms there and I tell myself I will NEVER be like them...I will not let myself go. Yes, your kids come first, but you have to take care of yourself, too! Luckily, I love working out, running, tri-ing...yes, I'm addicted and happy as can be, thankyouverymuch!

Junie B said...

Its not even really about vanity...but setting an example for your kids if you have them...and also to NOT feel tired, sick etc...people should be ACTIVE to SOME degree...maybe not at my level, or anyone but their OWN level (sans sitting on the couch or in a booth somewhere stuffing their face)...my sister who has lost 87 lbs give or take, hasnt been sick in a year (where she was chronically beforehand), and some other things that no need to go into...but point is, shes still not 'in shape' but she does what she has to do, and eats well etc...

if there is ONE thing I loathe more than anything in other people, thats just plain laziness and full of excuses why...other than the obvious.

Joyce (another lurker) said...

Whoever this person is that has obviously done some damage to you, I hope they're sorry. You have some body image issues I think you still need to work out and it would seem that you are, but have a ways to go.

Do it for the speed yes, but I sense something deeper here.

Praying for you.

Junie B said...

Joyce: You have NO idea. And no, they arent sorry. Not one bit.

Pony and Petey said...

Really good post...and the other one too.

I've been accused of being addicted to running. I always say, "since when is it so terrible to be addicted to a GOOD thing?"

Addicted to reading my Bible
Addicted to praying
Addicted to being kind to others
Addicted to spreading joy and happiness
Addicted to smiling

Sounds pretty good to me! I rely on God to tell me when I'm getting out of balance in any area of my life. Sometimes I obey right away, sometimes I don't and I suffer for it.

Thanks so much for sharing! I'm sure I'll be thinking about this in the days to come...

TX Runner Mom said...

Excuses drive me crazy too. People say, how do you run at 9 pm, that's so late!? Then they follow it with "I'm usually exhausted by 7 pm"...I want to reply, "Seriously? Exercising gives you energy, try it sometime!" And I agree, being a role model for my kids is important to me too. The Kiddo wants to do another kids run, so she's signed up for one next month!

Unknown said...

Yeah, what y'all said...