Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Every Wall Has a Door - Chevron Houston Marathon RR

I loved that saying and on Sunday if I saw one sign with that on it, I saw 50.

And to apologize in advance, but I am typing my blog posts lately about races much like I am getting faster at running them.

You all know I trained and trained and trained, 4 training runs of 20miles or more ; yadda yadda yadda...but on that morning, and even not till much into the race can you ever be certain.

43ish deg at the start.  Blah.  Unless it was going to stay at 43 deg, thats too warm for 26.2 miles (and you're a mid of the pack kind of runner).  But of course that did not happen, and the sky was cloudless too and bright sunshine as you make your way through the last 5.5 miles while you're at it.

Miles 1 - 13: right on pace for sub 4:30; maybe just a few seconds off, but make that up on the last 10K was Megan and I's thought process.  We so got this.
Miles 14 and 15: Westpark 'hill'; Legs are for whatever just prior to that are seeming to be building L acid up...After the 'hill' it was very apparent this had happened and my legs felt like lead and I didnt know what to do; kept going.  First signs of GI issues as well.
Miles 16 - 18: Stopped at 16.5 when I saw my family and by then I just needed to do something about my legs but didnt know what to do, so I stood there talking for about 3 minutes.  Lost Megan during this obviously.
18-24: More GI issues; several stops; losing time each stop and becoming more mentally out of it knowing I wasn't going to get to my goal.
Mile 19:  Shook hands with Pres Bush Sr.  Also started now attempting to stay with the 4:45 pacer since the 4:30 guy was long gone now...trying so hard to mentally come back.
Mile 20:  Really?  if you are going to have belly dancers out there can you at least make them hot?  Training run over.  10K race.  Dying (in my mind). 
Mile 22: Saw sister again; wanted to quit.  Talked for another couple of minutes.  Legs dead; cramps (both in legs and stomach);  Also saw Robin and Stephan; talked a minute with them too.  Almost there...can't.  quit.
Mile 23: Potty break again.  Shit.  Really?  Had to; knew I wasnt going to make it with clean shorts otherwise :)
Mile 24ish: done with the 'hills' of Allen Parkway.  Cut my legs off please.  Quads are on fire.   See Britney.  Britney jumps in to run me into downtown.  For 2 miles she talks.  And talks.  And talks.  Love her.
1.5 Miles to Go sign on the bridge above:  LIAR.  I know its farther... :o)
Turn on Rusk: House music playing....WOOHOO!!  Running faster now...Can see Finish line; why is it getting farther and farther away.  Dying but still running as fast as I can.  Hear announcer calling HERE COMES JUUUUUUNEBUG!!!  Pump hands in the air for like 100 yds I think.  Don't hit your watch; get good finishing picture for a change.  Done.
Finish: from the video it looks like I am ok.  What they dont show is me then almost falling down from the cramping and the dizziness.  Thankfully Pony finished after me and helped me along with a couple of the volunteers.
Get pictures taken somehow....more cramping.  Can hardly walk.  Blah blah blah.  Find friends.  Chocolate milk.  Only thing of substance that I would have until the next morning...unable to eat and retain.

As I said, I cannot complain, but I can be disappointed.  However I know that I did everything right and that I in much better shape than my time shows.  I cannot control what happens on race day but I can control what I take away from it.  Coach and I have talked and some adjustments need to be made (try some things differently and well we're going to be running/training much faster starting February); It certainly helps when you have someone of his caliber offer you compliments and helps you to remember how hard you worked and that 'all is not lost'.   The day just wasn't mine but it is in no way a reflection of my ability as a runner as I am someone 'who just keeps getting better.'

Today I am no longer disappointed.  I ran that race as best as I possibly could on that day.  And I didn't leave anything in me either.  It was splattered all over that 26.2 mile course.  I earned every second of that PR, even if it wasnt the one I wanted.


There were walls all along the way, maybe not the proverbial 'wall' runners speak of, but walls just the same, and with each wall, I found a door to go through.

7:09 exactly off my marathon distance PR.  And 43 minutes off the course from the last time I ran Houston in 2007? 

Yeah.  I kinda rock like that.

3 comments:

TX Runner Mom said...

Dang, I must have just missed you on the course. I saw Pony, but I missed you before that! You did the best under the circumstances that's for sure. Some people might have stopped. You're too good for that. Congrats on a job well done...I know you're gonna have lots of PRs in 2010!

KCWoodhead said...

Congrats on the PR. You know you will have a HUGE one when the day is right. I also bet you will reap serious rewards from your training over the shorter races in the next few months, and you will have a blast doing so.

Unknown said...

Catching up on your blog. Only 19 more posts to read. Ha! Remember your RR from 2007. It went on for a week. :) I loved that one. I love this one too 'cause if I know June, there will be no resting on your laurels. It's on to the next BIG thing and I love it.

Oh, and I'm kind of not so disappointed I didn't make it to the belly dancers.