Friday, December 3, 2010

Speed and Heat...Those are Both Movie Titles Now that I Think about It...

Wednesday: 

Speed workout day. 

Coach (schedule) called for me to do a 6 mile progressive run starting out with 10:15 pace ending with the last mile at sub 9:00 pace.  These paces are populated based on the fact that I put in 2:05 for my goal time for a 1/2 marathon once I decided to let loose of the Houston (full) marathon notion at the end of January (which incidentially I officially switched this morning online and had to pay $10 to do it; not happy about that).

Anyway, with the weather just about near perfect (62deg) at 4:30pm I started and I have to tell you...usually the day after hot yoga I sometimes have a bit of issue with running, but I think that 'newness' of hot yoga soreness and worn-out-ness has worn off!  I nailed the workout and felt strong and oh so fantastic.  I ran into a fellow KW'er once I got to Rice so we ran together for a bit until I needed to really pick up the pace.  I took off anywhere between 20-22sec per mile and the last 2 miles ended up being sub 9:00 instead of just the 1 as prescribed.  I did stop after 3 miles and take in about 4 oz of Gatorade; the humidity was very low and when that happens I end up with a very dry throat and its annoying to me.  Plus even though it was 60ish, I was still hot.

I couldnt be more pleased with my effort (which was kinda effortless for the most part)...I am beginning to wonder about a couple of things...both of which I need to blog about...
  1. Impact (positively) that yoga has on runner
  2. Like the book that is out there:  Run Less to Run Faster

Thursday:

90 min hot yoga.  Fantastic as always!  We had the master instructor, Donald Card as a guest instructor (who also is a friend of mine)...and I was a bit apprehensive to do his class.  Yes the poses are always the same, with maybe a difference on the addition of some 'ab stuff' while in the floor series, but still.  While I made it through it was indeed tougher.  He planked us to death, even putting in one handed planks which I could only hold in good form for 15-20 seconds, but still I did it!  He also had us holding poses for a bit longer than I am use to with Gayle.  Truly challenging and once again I had the sweat literally running and drip dropping off of me with every movement. 

I improved on my 'hover' (chataranga dandasana) for the first time but no...still not on my toes like you see Donald doing in this picture ... He is amazingly strong!  I love that he is also a LD runner because he understands some of the challenges runners have with some of the poses due to the muscles being shortened and less flexible.

I will run 3 easy miles this evening and then of course not running long with Kenyan Way tomorrow but instead making the 4 hour drive up to Dallas to run the Dallas/White Rock (half) marathon on Sunday.  My road trip/hotel sharing buddy, April (who is a awesome local artist - AEM Gallery on Facebook) is running the full...

The weather looks to be cold (33deg with a feels like of 26deg) so I guess its a long sleeve running top this time around!  Finally I get to wear the long sleeve red/black top I had bought to wear in the Chicago Marathon...that of course has never seen the light of day yet! 

Now to decide whether I will wear a pair of my Lulu shorts or capri's...I really hate running in capri's...

1 comment:

Sam said...

Runm hard in Dallas, and have a great race.