Monday, December 13, 2010

Reverb10 - December 12

Body integration.

This year, when did you feel the most integrated with your body? Did you have a moment where there wasn't mind and body, but simply a cohesive YOU, alive and present?

This happens quite often for me honestly.  Being a athlete...and yes I finally accept the term as a description of who I am, its quite easy to have lots of cohesive moments where you lose yourself.  This happens to me quite often in running since I tend to be a lone runner, even when with a group such as Kenyan Way.  I use to be more of a social runner on Saturdays, and still am but its rare anymore.  I have my moments though  :O)

Now with the addition of hot yoga this definitely happens to me during that.  I always thought running was something that could only provide me with the mind and body connection, but that all went out the window the 2nd time I ever did hot yoga. 

If for one minute you think hot yoga is easy, and associate it with what some people generalize about yoga, you're wrong.  Without your mind there is no way in hell that you are going to be do a pose once, let alone twice in 110deg heat and hold it for the amount of time required.  Some?  yes.  Most?  no.  The balance and strength it takes to do it properly is incredibly mind numbing.  You HAVE to make the connection or spending the time and money is pointless. 

Every time I step into that room, I come out of there a different person.  Its very emotional, at least to me, and has become increasingly so. 

I know this is going to sound incredibly stupid and cliche but hot yoga has made me a better person.  It might not be evident to a lot of people, but those are the people that arent looking at me closely enough or who dont really care to.  And by the word looking, I mean really looking and that includes past the outward appearance.

No comments: