Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Drop in The Bucket (List)

There are certain 'traditions' I have every holiday season.
One is that I won't leave my house on Thanksgiving morning to head to whereever I am to be that day until I see the Rockettes on the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade.  Just not gonna do it.  I've watched it every year and know that generally they are going to be on somewhere right around the 10am hour (CST).  Even when I did do the Turkey Trot I always made it home in time ... no dilly dallying around after running...but yet I would still set the DVR before leaving the house just in case.
One of the other things is that I religiously watch the lighting of the tree in Rockefeller Center.
Those 2 things right there are on my bucket list.
To see the Macys Thanksgiving Day parade live and in person and also to see the tree light up in Rockefeller Center.  I've seen the Rockettes live several times..so its not necessarily to see them at both events but just the events themselves. 
I don't have a clue what my fascination is with these 2 things, but its just the way it is.  Maybe its because I have just grown up with them in my life for as long as I can remember..
Anyway, since I don't have any out of State marathons that I am going to do in 2011, I have decided its time to mark one of those off my list.
I had to pick one of the 2 and I've decided that I would see the tree lighting first.  Its the same time every year, the week after Thanksgiving and its a relatively easy trip to plan for.  I know where to stay to save money and its a short subway train ride straight into Manhatten.  And since I've been to NYC before getting around by myself would be a snap.
I will more than likely ask my sister to go with me, but its also the same week she goes to Vegas every year for a convention so I dont know if she'll go or not.  I don't really care because I am perfectly fine going on my own.  So there.  Its a done deal.  I've made the decision!!  I am already excited!

Do you have any holiday season traditions that you look foward to every year?  Or rather any 'traditions' that others have somewhere other than where you are that are on your bucket list?

4 comments:

Heather said...

Seeing the Thanksgiving day parade live has always been on my bucket list too!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!

Several years back we started the tradition of going to Gruene the first Saturday of December. That's when they kick off the lighting, Santa, festivities, etc, plus Gruene Market days. I LOVE it.
Unfortunately my sister decided last year she can't be bothered to drive 45 minutes to Gruene. So she didn't attend last year and I have to take her and bring her back this year, even though I have other plans afterwards :-( Apparently the price of gas for her trumps family time.
Sad, I can count on 1 hand how many things we've done as a family since she started dating that idiot

Unknown said...

I LOVE watching the Parade... It just kicks off that Christmas feeling for me!

I'm so excited that you are going to do the tree lighting, too! I know you will have a marvelous time!

Merry Christmas, Junebug! xoxo

Karen Seal said...

Oooh that sounds so exciting! I have a friend who saw the Macy's parade this year and after all of her stories, I told Jason last night that I definitely wanted to do that one year! I said we should go on a Wednesday, stay through the following week and not only see the Parade but also the lighting of the tree!! It sounds like so much fun!!!