Monday, December 6, 2010

Dallas White Rock Marathon Trip In Pictures

You don't go on a road trip in Texas without stopping at Buc-ees!!  It is crazy insane with everything you can imagine in the line of food, snacks, gifts!  You name it, Buc-ee's has it!!!  I could have done my Christmas shopping AND grocery shopping in there!

Here is what I bought.  See at least I bought water.


The haul by both April and I; we both went in different directions and ended up with all this junk!! Everything from potato salad (April) to those sugary gooey orange slice candies and Beaver Nuggets which is basically fried sugar.

Packet pickup on a Saturday before race day is always a nightmare.  Not here.  These people were on the ball.  I didnt even have my confirmation but they had our names on a board, get your number, show your ID and you're out!

April trying to figure out our route for our final destination on the DART rail which is AWESOME and oh so convenient from hotels downtown to the Expo and to the Start/Finish

Where's da train yo?

Hey lets go there!!!!

Random photo shot at Expo.  Hope these people dont expect compensation.  I didnt get anyone to sign a waiver.

I was walking past this thingamabob after getting my packet and off to find April when some dude stopped me and wanted me to be on camera.  He was like 'why do you run?'  I said 'cuz I like to run'.  Academy Award winning I tell ya..he said nope...let me make your sign.  He comes back and it said "I run to stay sexy".  Ugh.  Really.  But I did it.  Stood in front of the camera, did my duty.  I saw the flat screens along the route where they were showing everyone either talking about why they were running or why they run.  I didnt see mine, but I guess its timing thing. 

Why can't we ride THIS train???  Cool Amtrak eh?

This was WAY prettier in person.  Part of the new Neiman Marcus outside display.  The butterflies were 3 dimensional and oh so cool!  The window displays were magnificent.  I wanted to get out of Tracey's car (we were on our way to dinner) and take tons of photos.

Dinner.  No cheese veggie pizza.  I dont do dairy the day/night before a race.  It was delish regardless of how it looks. I luuurve Campisi's...best thiiiiiiiiiiiiiin crust EVAH!  Same thing I had before the RnR half there in March when I got my 13 min PR I think it was...I forget now...you can go look it up if you want :).  The place is packed with runners, but Tracey had gotten us a reservation the day before somehow!!

On the way to big race!!!  brrr..it was so cold out!  35deg with a wind chill of 22deg AND I STILL WORE MY LULULEMON shorts!  Of course I was layered up with throw away stuff till it was time to GO! GO! GO!

April making a face.  This was her 72nd FULL marathon.  She has been running for 20 years.  She ran Salt Lake in August and hadnt run over 8 miles since.  She ran Dallas White Rock in 4:24 with no training.  I hate her but like in a really awesome way.  She is also a hot yoga fanatic, but she also likes to run when its hot and humid and icky.  Crazy girl.

Duh.  The Start.

Another shot of the Start.  Yes this was way before Start time, since we got there at 6:40 or so and the race started at 8.

Duh.  The Finish.

There were a TON of pretty decorated trees all throughout Fair Park as we were walking to find shelter to keep warm.  Which we did!  I don't think a lot of people knew where it was but since April had done this race several times, she knew ;)  Plus that girl HATES cold and can sniff out a warm shelter like a hound dog trees a raccoon.

Walking, walking, walking...

My medal, Aprils medal.  I told her they were gettin' married.

Random shot of this art thingee that was on the DART rail route. 

Weird art guy again...you cant see my favorite part but there are these little chicky's all around there too.  They were soooooooooooo cute...I wanted off the train.

You've seen the medal, but we also got a way cool long sleeve tshirt in our pickup packet (and of course they were out of smalls already) and then a nice technical finishing shirt at the end along with the medal. 

5 comments:

Karen Seal said...

Way to go! I love all the pictures! I've heard that White Rock is an awesome race! :0) My cousin ran a relay this year!

Charlotte said...

woohooo! Looks like you had a blast! And 72 full marathons?! Amazing!

Bert said...

Loved the pics, might have to try this run sometime!

Junie B said...

thanks!

one of these days i am going to take my camera on a race route. i just dont know if i could run fast enough AND take pictures along the way.

i hope to keep doing a lot more pictures before and after races though. its a lot of fun to document and i know readers LOOOOOOOOOOVE pictures :O)

Anonymous said...

LOVE the recap in photos!

I've always thought about taking a camera with me too. The only time i've ever done that was the last race my mom did, because I was running at her pace, not mine.

I'm sure there is an art to running and taking photos at the same time. I do well to stay on my feet without a camera though.