Friday, December 10, 2010

Making the Grade - Dallas/White Rock Marathon and Half Marathon - Part Three

The Finish

Somehow I missed all the paparazzi along the 13.1 course, but at least I managed a finish line photo!  As always click for better viewing...I am kinda diggin' this photo!  And in case you can't tell my Sweaty Band TOTALLY matches my outfit..red, black and white...
 Now onto the final segment of grading the overall Dallas/White Rock race experience...
Well I guess the best part of any race is that there is a Finish!
There have been a few marathon finishes that leave some things left to be desired (both NYC and Chicago)...but just like Houston, the Dallas/White Rock marathon/half marathon is perfect.
Immediately after finishing I might have walked 50 yards or so before entering into a nice, big and warm indoor after race party! 
You were handed your heat shield within seconds of finishing, checked on your condition if you looked questionable and then moved along.  Immediately upon entering the hall, you were given your medal, something to drink and there were your signs to get your Finisher shirt...you walked up, got your size and moved along.  Plenty of volunteers were handing them out so there were no lines.

Since I finished at a pretty popular finishing time, there were a lot of people but still no issues. 
You were given a plastic bag to load up with goodies (which I took full advantage of)..everything from HoneyMilk, MoJo bars, yogurts, Quaker Chewy granola bars, etc.  There were also bagels, bananas and oranges.  There was also soft drinks and beer.
The gear check was at the other end, and this was where I was a bit skeptical...as when you check your bag all you do is throw it in the back of this truck.  Thats it.  I was like 'oh boy'...

However these people were on the ball and there were tables all lined up with ranges of numbers where they had sorted all the bags!  Amazing!  And if you brought your own and didnt use the one given, there were tables for that (they discourage using your own but obviously people did it)
The guy let me go in and find my own bag and within minutes I was done and updating my status on Facebook as soon as I could get my phone from inside the bag :O)

 Race Finish = A+

The Dallas White Rock Marathon/Half Marathon was a top notch experience all the way around.  I will definitely be doing this race again next year.  Marathon or Half Marathon?  Guess we'll have to wait and see.... :O)

Registration for 2011 opens up June 1, 2011

The End...Now onto January races!!!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

cute race photos! man i really want to run this race next year.

Unknown said...

That photo reminds me of Anna Helm's finish photo. The one where her arms are up in victory. I think that was her marathon PR.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could say the same, but I finished the marathon in 5:12, a slow time, but still... and there was almost zero food left. I grabbed half a stale bagel from the bottom of a box and that was all I got. :-( Definitely think I'll be going back to the half next year for that one.

Junie B said...

Lesley every race is different for everyone. I have friends that finished the full at Dallas in 3:03, 3:13, 4:20's and one that finished in 5:58 and all were ecstatic. especially the 5:58 one because it was her first marathon and she cant wait to do another one!

from reading your RR it seems things for you were off from the very beginning and i know from experience that one thing at the beginning can ruin everything. sorry you didnt have the race you wanted. i've been there.

even had i not had a decent finishing time i still would have given this race an A+.

ive run nyc, houston, chicago etc., and have had diff experiences with all of them but Dallas, from end to end is by far the most put together in my opinion.

Leslie said...

Followed SR over to you. This is random, but how were you able to get your photo on here? I ran WRM last weekend, tried to copy/paste or drag my pic, and it's totally locked on their website. But you outsmarted them...