Thursday, December 30, 2010

Bring On 2011 !!! And 2010 Reflections

Well all over blog land (I am finally getting caught up on them from my blog-reading hiatus over the holiday) it would seem that there is one common thread:  Goals/Resolutions for 2011.

First and foremost, I don't do resolutions.  I have always felt (for the most part) that I do alright and really there isn't anything more or less or abstain from in any given coming year.  At least not for the past 5 years anyway.  Now that does not mean I don't always have goals and dreams for the new year as it creeps up on us each end of December. 

So I figured well, I would contribute a post to these same sorts of things, but for the first time in a few years, my goals and dreams are a bit different that I remember in the past.

If there is one thing that is certain to me about what 2010 did for me personally is that I know without a doubt that I am pretty much a changed woman.  Not physically but emotionally, mentally and spiritually (maybe a little bit physically especially on the inside thanks to a change in WOE)  I think for the most part I am finally the woman I was always meant to be.  How do I top that for 2011?  I mean really?  :O)

I feel well-rounded and balanced (except for that right side thing  :O) )...and I want to continue that into 2011.  I want to continue to incorporate new ideas and experiences into my lifestyle.  For so long I seemed to place my level of happiness on the moods and life of (an)other(s) and I also found, looking back that so much of my life these past few years revolved solely on running and how well that was going.  2010 brought about some new experiences that were unexpected (as were some friendships) ... and which led to some insight into that there is more to life than just running and PR'ing. 

2010 has even, most recently, brought about a change in me that I hope continues into 2011, and that is that I am ... gasp! ... finally accepting my body for what it is and that God gave it to me.  I poisoned it for so long, with drugs, alcohol and nicotine, not to mention the mental imbalance/low self esteem from so many years of this, that or the other, that I find it interesting that only recently have I come to love my body just the way it is.  Yeah, its ok if I gain a lb or so, and yes, I would still love to lose too, but its not something (at least right now) that I seem to consistently focused on for whatever reason.  Maybe its the yoga.  I don't know, but when you are surrounded by mirrors and in a room almost naked with bodies of both genders, and of different body types, weights etc., you tend to realize that we are all pretty darn special and that honestly stacked against the majority, you look pretty darn awesome Junie B  :O).  And that living in the body we have is a gift from God.  One learns to become in touch with your body as you put it through the poses and most times you are touching yourself in some way and your focus is always, always on yourself and no one else in the room.  One becomes very in touch, both physically and mentally, with themselves.   So I figure it goes without saying, that I hope that 2011 is the same in this respect.

I think to say I want to do this more/that more is part of the problem as to why so many people fail at keeping a resolution or in reaching a goal.

As a society, I think the majority of people are so over-extended already that saying I want to do more of this or that, is just setting someone up to fail.  Unless you are willing to do something else .. less.  An example would be for me to say: I want to read more.  However to do this and still maintain some sense of non-crazy, I would follow that up with:  Say yes less often for things I dont really ever want to do, but can't seem to say no. 

I think that a lot of people do so many things that they don't even really want to do, that that is just a breeding ground for frustration, and sometimes anger and spite.  I think life is about give and take...and as previously posted; about balance.  Plus if to read more means that I worry about when/if I read that day or even that week, then its not worth it.  So yeah, I would like to read more, and I intend to but if life doesnt allow for it at any particular time, then thats ok.

I want to find new passions in 2011, whereever they may be hiding, or whatever they might be, but just like in 2010 I want to grow.  On the inside, not the outside :O)

I hope to continue to support and love those that mean the most to me in whatever trials, tribulations, dreams or goals that they may have, because at the end of the day, also in 2010 I wittled down my friends to true friends and am much happier spending my time with those that truly 'get' me and don't judge me.  I found forgiveness in my heart when I needed to for them as much as it was for me.  I found the love from some that truly brought me to tears at times. 

I hope to continue to fuel my mind, my body and my spirit with running, and with Bikram and with the Good Book.  Right now there isn't much focus running this many races or that many races or PR'ing...I don't know why, there just isn't.  Of course I would love all that to happen, but if it doesn't I am ok with that.  See what I mean?  Who am I?  Of course I am still going to 'train' for my now goal of my first sub 2 hour half marathon, but I don't really care when that happens :O)

Right now I just continue to wait until its finally close enough on the calendar to be able to book my flight and hotel to NYC at the end of November.  If you haven't read it already, I plan to mark off something off my bucket list this year by going to NYC the week after Thanksgiving to see the Christmas tree lighting in Rockefeller Center.

The other thing that I am really looking forward to is finding a new (bigger) place to live that I can afford!  The main criteria is that the kitchen is bigger than the cubby hole I have now and a bigger bathroom.  I could find this easy enough if I was willing to live 'outside' the loop here, but I really like the area, so finding something that fits those 2 criteria might be hard on my housing budget.  I might consider something just barely outside the loop; just depends on what I find once I start seriously looking in February.  Prior to that the push towards minimalism shall continue; what this means is that I continue to go through the clothes (which is really all that is left)...I'm getting really close to being done though!

All I can really say is that if I can make it through 2011 with even just a smidge of the overall contentness that I feel now then it will be just as much of a success as 2010.  I know there will be heartaches of my own, that much is pretty much a given with Mom situation and all, but overall I can only pray that God gives me only what I can handle and nothing more :O)

Happy New Year!
Here is to wishing each and every one of you a Happy and Prosperous New Year!!!!

Now what about you?  Was 2010 a success?  A failure?  A mixed bag?  And are you looking forward to a new year? Why?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Soo true!! I'm so glad I came by to read this! Happy New year to you!!!

Unknown said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post. You're just doing great, June. I'm so proud of you and happy to call you friend.

TX Runner Mom said...

Great post June! Happy new year...my 2011 bring new passions!

Adrienne Langelier, MA said...

Great post-very insightful! When it comes to resolutions, we must ask ourselves: who's goal is it anyway??

Here's to 2011:)

Anonymous said...

Here's to a content 2011!

Lisa said...

Much luck to you in 2011!