Monday, August 1, 2011

Product Review - Clif Bars

First things first though...This morning I was very well rested (we did a whole lot of not much yesterday outside of grocery shop for the week and start packing up the place) and had no trouble getting out of bed just slightly before 5am.  I have stopped really looking at what the phone app or the television says for the most part because basically its the same every day:


What they leave off in humidity should be:  60%+ in the afternoon, 80-90%ish in the mornings
Pick your poison.
Welcome to what I call:  Ughust.

I am not sure why, but this morning before leaving the house, I felt a bit of apprehension.  Not fearful so much, but definitely on the cautious side.  Something didn't feel right, and for a brief moment I thought of just ditching the run, but I knew I couldnt make it up later, due to fact that I am going to pay my respects for a friend and fellow BCRR'er who suddenly passed away last week.  The autopsy, which is not mentioned in this particular article, said that the primary cause of death had to do with some heart issues.  All we really know is that he apparently passed away peacefully in his sleep.

Anyway I set out, leaving one ear bud out so that I could hear the sounds going on around me.  When I first started out I thought to myself that it didn't feel so bad out there, and then about a mile in, I knew that I had just been temporarily impaired from thinking clearly or something because it got real gross real fast.

I finished out an hour worth of running, and without incident unless you count the black cat that scared the bejesus out of me as it sprinted out and chased me as I was running down Dunlavy!  I had passed by and out of the corner of my eye, or something like that, I realized that there was something behind me, so I turned and sure enough he scared the crap out of me. 

I was already on edge about the run, so this just really made me jumpy.  Then one other time I got scared by my own shadow as sometimes, when the light posts in front of you and the ones behind you hit a certain way, it looks like someone is running behind you.  Freaks me out every freaking time!!!

But so glad the run is done and over with and that there didnt seem to be any side effects from the long run on Sunday.  Yesterday I had some pretty severe soreness in my hamstrings but I guess the moving around I did do yesterday, along with a lot of water, helped ease that by the time this morning rolled around.

Have you ever scared yourself silly by your shadow?  Ever been chased by an animal while running?  I still can't believe that cat came running after me!

**************************************

I can't really recall when I tried Clif Bars for the first time, but I am pretty sure it was probably about 4 years ago and something that was in a race schwag bag.  I also can be pretty sure that I didn't like them, or if I did, it wasn't enough to actually buy them.

Fast forward to about a year ago, while at WalMart with my sister, shopping for Mom and on the aisle there (strategically placed) they were $5 a box.  And it was the Crunchy Peanut Butter.  So a great deal AND they were CPB?  Sold.  Even at Luke's they are not that cheap with my discount.

I don't know if they changed something (probably) but DAMN these things are da bomb!  Love Love Love them!  I went on to keep buying them at the $5 price whenever I was out Mom's way, but well I havent been for some time so I kinda quit buying them. 

Until recently.

The new Whole Foods that opened up right here next door, well they always have them right as you are checking out and sell them for $1 each (again cheaper than at Luke's).

I love always having a couple of these in my desk at work (typically eating 1/2 one day, the other 1/2 the next day), or sometimes eating it all, just making it last the entire day.  This is not hard to do because they are indeed dense.

This past Friday we made our usual trek over to Whole Foods at lunch time and when I grabbed a few, I went outside my comfort zone and got some different flavors to try!  Oatmeal Raisin Walnut and Chocolate Brownie.  I have only opened the Chocolate Brownie one today and its awesome too!  Not as awesome as the CPB, but still...

One of the things I love about Clif Bars is that they are small, compact and contain a lot of what you need for sustainable energy.  Not only that but I think I would like to have these little portable things around should I ever be stranded somewhere and there are no healthy options around.

I also really like their food philosphy and suscribe to the same thoughts.


The Luna Bars (specifically for women) are a product that I have loved since I first had one!  The Lemon Zest is by far my favorite and its like dessert. 

Now when it comes to Clif Shots etc., not a fan.  I don't know why, I have tried them, actually have some at home that I won on another blog's contest but they are only there in case of emergency.  Maybe its the flavors I have tried?  I don't know.  Maybe Clif Bar needs to email me about that!

Anyway, I just love these products and felt like they deserved a shout out on the blog here.  These products as previously mentioned, were purchased by me, not given to me by Clif Bar for review. 
My opinion on the products were my own and I was not compensated.
I think that just about covers that.  :O)

What say you?  Have you tried Clif Bars? Would you like to?  What flavor is your favorite or one that you would like to try if you could?  Have you tried their gels?  Whats your go to product for energy on the run or bike?

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I almost pepper sprayed a mailbox once. Yes, cats & rabbits have scared me in the shadows on the morning....ugh!

Lauren said...

omg i'm so obsessed with clif bars. Chocolate brownie is my favorite!

Anonymous said...

I played chicken with a squirrel yesterday morning! He did NOT want me to pass him.

I haven't tried many Clif Bars but I got some free mini Luna bars from Fleet Feet (I feel guilty even mentioning that name on your blog). White Chocolate Macadamia- plain DELICIOUS.

Junie B said...

Its ok Hil! We're all adults! Heck I went to Fleet Feet and bought socks once! LOL. I think because I had a gift card there. Oh yeah, for coaching PIM I had a $40 gift card so I bought socks and a box of gels!

The Lunas are great indeed, but not as dense as the Clif Bars, so I consider them more a snack than a meal replacement. And yes the ones you have ARE awesome too! I had a free one of those from some race.

TX Runner Mom said...

LOL, I have been scared by my own shadow - especially when the lighting is weird and you kinda have a shadow in front and behind you.

I love me some Clif bars! I had a mini one in a swag bag and used it on a long bike ride - it was mint chocolate chip - and I loved it. And, I survived that ride! So now I take them on all my long bike rides. I'm with yo on the Clif Shots - I don't like them. If I'm going to use a chew, it's going to be the Honey Bee Stingers. They taste awesome and aren't as gooey as the others. I haven't tried the Luna Bars, but I used to use the Luna Moons (chewy thingies). I think I have a couple of Luna Bars from a race that I need to try.