Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Word From Your Sponsor Blogger, JunieB

I need to update my disclaimer over there to the right, or add another separate piece about this, but I wanted to go ahead and put a blog post about it as well.

If it hasn't been made clear before, or that by the content not being obvious, I want to correct that right now.

For the most part, I believe, that my current audience, and going forward, my target audience is and always has been:  the new runner, or the new athlete in general, the run/walker, the middle of the pack peeps, the back of the pack peeps...those marathoners that run anywhere from a 9min mile and upwards of that for whatever distance you choose.  And of course, women in their 40's and 50's (and beyond) that are active and are interested in living their best life.

I know that there are folks that read this blog that are sub 3 hour marathoners, run sub 16 min 5K's and even a few probably that are 3:20 to 3:45 marathoners.  I welcome all readers!

While I firmly believe that a lot of what I blog about as it pertains to running, yoga, eating etc., can benefit any status of runner or athlete, there will be posts that those folks will scoff and it will not pertain to.  I am pretty darn sure if I could run 5 miles in 30 min or so, I might not need to carry hydration either.

But that is not the case.

I think sometimes, and its happened twice to me in the past week, where a friend or friends of mine (all much faster than I am) have made comments re: my choice(s) in a workout or in my patience in long runs as it pertains to the brutal Summer conditions.

I realize that while I may be faster than some of you, I am also slower than most, and when I first started all of this running business, I was even slower than that.

I think its important for people to realize first of all, a mile is a mile, no matter if you run it in 5 minutes or 12 minutes.  A marathon is 26.2 miles for a 6 hour marathoner just as it is for a 3 hour marathoner.  And I have been told by folks and have even heard elites say "I couldnt be out there running for 5 hours even at a slow pace!".

So does that mean the slower runner is the better athlete?  I don't know...Being faster does not mean anyone is 'better' than you, I or the person next to you than none of us know.

If I choose to switch to intervals 15 miles into a long run to finish it, or choose to do my 800's on treadmill in 110deg heat index, then well I am choosing what is best for me.  And honestly I think its probably best for a lot of folks, but again I am not a professional coach, but I am coached by one of the best out there, Sean Wade.

Follow through and finishing a work out without dying is always my goal (no matter what the weather may be!).  I am not going to put myself in jeopardy (and thereby only suggesting you do the same) just to prove that man > Mother Nature sometimes. Because Mother Nature can chew you up and spit you out and leave you feeling physically and mentally defeated, and furthermore making you think you should give up.

Never give up!!

So please take what I write with all of that in mind.  I write what works for me, and what I believe can benefit my audience.  I also blog what I believe to be important, no matter who you are or what kind of athlete you may be.  My training is my training.  You can implement, revise and decide what works for you and your level of fitness.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, I fit right in. Well, except I'm 35... but that's ok. Sounds like home to me.

Junie B said...

the first part applies to ALL ages, new runner etc. there are just going to be some topics that apply specifically to the older women too :)

Nikki said...

Amen, lady! My SIL runs about a 3 hr marathon. My half PR is 2:22. So with her "corral 1" start, we finished the Mardi Gras full(her)/half(me) at nearly the same time. Her comment at seeing all the back-of-the-packers a couple hours later was "I could never run that long." Seriously loving your blog!

Pony and Petey said...

VERY well said!!! And very encouraging too = )

Xaarlin said...

I love this post! I enjoy when bloggers are honest and real and not always the pink fluffy unicorn who poops rainbows :) I'm a bit younger than your target, but I really enjoy reading about your running and progress, failures and triumphs :)

Tara @ texasrunnergirl.com said...

Thank you JunieB for this post!! I loved it. I'm a back of the pack person and I'm still proud of my progress.

TX Runner Mom said...

Great post June! Amen!