Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Zoooooooooooooom!!! *EDITED*

*EDITED:  When I say "I hit every light, that means they were green all the way; not so surprising at that hour of the morning and its a main drag"..Also even because it was green, I generally always will stop no matter what just to make sure someone isnt coming at me and deciding to not stop to turn or to run a red light.  This morning I didnt stop, barely slowed because it was definitely clear that I didnt really need to.  The 1 or 2 cars I did see were at a complete stop already as I approached so I felt safe to keep going.*

I jokingly on Facebook last night asked if someone would shut down a portion of the street there in front of where I live to exactly 1.55 miles in one direction so I could have a clear out and back for my 5K speed workout this morning...

Now I run a portion of this road in the early weekday mornings and I already know that its barren at that time for the most part.  I needed to run this workout on the road, not on the sidewalks as a) the streets are more lit b) there arent any little obstacles and c) it just would be faster.

When I stepped outside at exactly 5:16am, sure enough there wasnt a car for as far as the eye could see.  I went to the opposite side/lane of the road, hit my watch and started running.  I hit every light, even at Kirby and just kept going.  I knew the exact turn around spot (Edloe).  I also was aware that even on the right side of the road no cars were going by.  Perfect.

Only once did I have to hop up on the curb and even then the car was in the other lane and I could have stayed where I was but just to be safe(r)...the first 1.55 was done in 13:42 as I looked at my watch as I made the turn.  I knew I had to finish in about 27:15 or so, give or take.

Running back the other way, still no oncoming traffic.  Completely crazy!  Once I hit one light a cop car pulled out of a parking lot and was headed towards me, but there was no sidewalk here and he stayed to the other lane so I was fine.  Once I hit Kirby again I looked at my watch and I knew I had roughly 4 minutes to make the proposed time/pace on my schedule.  I put a bit more speed into it as I knew I only had one more light to make.  I was still on the road.  It wasnt until I hit Shepherd that I hopped back up on the sidewalk; I looked at my watch again and I was, I think...at about 26:10.  Whaaat?  I am like a block from my house!

So pretty much I just slowed down a bit and there ya go...morning 5K done.  26:53.   Bamm! 

The 2nd 1.55 was done in 13:11.  Negative split.  The workout called for 5 min rest and to repeat the workout but as previously mentioned I have PIM tonight, so the 2nd part of my speed running today will be done this evening with 60/60's. 

I will only end up with 7 miles for the day instead of 8, but I think I'm ok :O)

So to those that slept in this morning and stayed off the road for me, thanks.  'preciate cha.

1 comment:

GodlessNurse said...

Holy sheeeeeite. You are a speedy Junebug. :)