Monday, September 13, 2010

Marathon Woes - Part 3 - You Become a Spastic Meteorologist

Predictable?  I think not!


It is 29 days until race day in Chicago.
The longest range forecast I have ever found (and to be even remotely close to accurate) is on accuweather.com
They have an extended forecast up to 15 days and a lot of 'trending' information, so I really trust that one over the years more than the others (weather.com never seems to get it right and they only go out 10 days)

My point is this.  You will, at some point, start trying to figure out by stalking a website, or several of them.  Looking at trends of weather for the past 5 years of the marathon in whatever city.  You will of course also in your training, especially when it comes to the longer runs.
Like this upcoming Saturday.  I've been stalking since 15 days out...and of course, what looked good 10 days ago, doesn't look so good now.

Its pointless to put yourself through this stress.  I know it, and basically every other runner I know, knows it too.  But for the majority of us, we can't help ourselves.  Its part of our runner DNA.

As I said, most of us that I know that are doing Chicago are already stalking the weather...and its awesome right now and for the next 15 days.  40's and 50's at night and in the morning.  That would be perfect for my long run this weekend...maybe I should fly up on Friday, do my long run on Saturday, catch DA BEARS game and come home?  Yeah, I wish.

You will also, maybe...start comparing what one weather site says over another...and then of course those 2 against the local affiliates...and then of course there is my Weatherbug app...yeah that makes it even easier for me to be a spazmatic...Not near a computer?  No problem!  Check your damn weather app!!!

You will start by looking once a day (this is where I am at now)...but eventually...about 10-15 days out, you may start looking a couple of times a day...because you know..it might change...but then a week out it becomes almost like a crack addict...I will look SEVERAL times a day...because you know...it might change...

In 2 separate marathons, it was a huge FAIL.

One was my first marathon...Houston 2007.  Even on Saturday the day before the race, we were 'told' that a huge cold front was going to whip in at some point DURING the race...probably 2 hours into my 5+hour marathon and I was a bit worried about it, but welcomed it.

Guess what?  It didnt happen.  It was muggy as crap due to the front being on the way, and right now I dont remember so clearly, but it was anything but cold.  50's at the start I believe...Buuuuuuuuuuuuut...on Monday morning, the day after the race the streets were covered in ice and it was colder than .. well it was just cold.
My point is that no matter what all the sites say...no matter what the trends were in the past...or even the week of or the day before the race, you just don't know.

Which is why...for example, when you are planning an out of town marathon, like Chicago, you have about 3 different options of marathon attire to pack for...I always only bring one pair of shorts though...and one pair of capri's.  Then I revolve around that.  In this particular case I have:  a long sleeve compression type if its 40 or below.  Above 40 will be a no sleeve singlet with arm warmers to start, and if its gonna be another odd year like 2007 up there and have a heat wave, then its a midriff baring top just like here at home.  I don't like to give myself too many combinations to think about and pack for. 

And as far as this weekends long run?  Nothing gonna change there...70's with high humidity and yeah thats starting at 4am.  I keep thinking I will find a weather site that will tell me differently but no cigar...
Sad face.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

Oh this had me laughing SO HARD. I swear there are more Type A runners than any other kind. And you know I'm one of them.

PS> You're going to do great in your race! No matter what the weather. Although I'll be praying no humidity for you - that's the worst IMO!