Tuesday, September 14, 2010

For some time now I have been waiting for the perfect day (race)...I know it hasn't come yet (and I know it won't be in Chicago) but sometimes I compare my training to what it would actually feel like for everything to go right.  Especially when I am on the dreadmill with the boom beat, boom beat, boom beat of the music, my legs go round and round and I space out so that I don't make eye contact with anyone...because honestly I loathe those gym people (men) that try to find a reason to talk to me...anyway where was I???


I want everything to go smoothly, where my body always feels great, where I improve on a daily basis and where, maybe, just maybe on some race day in the hopefully not too too too distant future, I can pull out 9:00 min miles for 26.2 miles. Without breaking a sweat.  :o)

I wonder if my day will ever come as it seems to for all the athletes I see in the movies...and yes even those that I look up to in real life...that I can touch, feel and talk to.

The reality is that I am not going to suddenly turn into Seabiscuit. I don’t really think that the perfect, pain free, problem free race exists does it?

There is adversity and there always will be.

In racing and in life.

Adversity is a part of life. The big challenge in life and in sport is not whether you'll get through the adversity but, rather, how you deal with the adversity when it begins to get to you, what you learn from that experience and who you become because of it.

I try really hard to keep it all in check, and I think I do a really great job of it. At least when I don’t think I can, I go to someone I think I can trust to listen. And then you realize that all the times you do such wonderful things for others in their time of adversity, it likely won’t be reciprocated. This breaks my heart. But then as I said, I have come to be the person that will indeed judge you for the person you show yourself to be in tough times as well as in good. Whether it’s you or me.

Adversity is not a means of dragging a person down, but an opportunity to build a person up. At least thats the way I see it.

I think that if everything were perfect, then it wouldn’t be. I don’t know if that makes sense to you, but it does to me.

Life is not about fearing adversity but of confronting it and conquering it and becoming a better person because of it. Adversity, in a funny way, is in itself, perfection no?

It proves that I am indeed human (and that everyone is) and not a celluloid figment of our imaginations. Although I sometimes wonder what exactly makes some people tick, as it doesn’t appear to be a heart.

2 comments:

Sam said...

Great post. And you know, the perfect race is only out there in one form, and that's how you run it. It has nothing to do with conditions or anything like that, because that effects everyone, and someone on that same day is having their "perfect race". Like you said, it's not whether the adversity comes up, it's how you handle it and what you learn from it. For some, the adversity is learned in training and the lessons they should have learned will be used on marathon/race day. For others, the adversity comes in training, and even in other marathons. However, that perfect day will be the day when you take the lessons learned and put them all to use in the right way, with the right spirit, and at the right times on that day when adversity shows itself again but you refuse to acknoledge it beyond saying to yourself, "I know how to handle this situation."

Don't count on weather, time of year or race conditions for that perfect race day, because the fact is the perfect race day is already inside you, just waiting to come out.

Junie B said...

thanks for the comment! like that.

however I was not only referring to the adversities as they apply to running i.e. weather etc., but the every day life struggles that can and do affect performance whether it is a race or a training run.

i know that life lately has handed me a lot these past couple of months...overcoming them to the point where i am not thinking about it is a challenge more often than I care to admit.