Saturday, September 25, 2010

*Long* Run - 12 miles - Kenyan Way

I didnt even care that it was still hot and humid as all get out this morning because I knew it was only 12 miles and I knew I didnt have to run long again next weekend either!  :)  I did a quick 2 miles before the start with the group, took off with the 4:15 group and kept it steady coming in at a 10:38 pace for the overall run.

I was a bit worried about how my legs have felt all week, but I took some Aleve twice yesterday and that seemed to help this morning. 

One of the girls going to Chicago and use to run with me but slowed down a pace group this summer said she wanted to run with me this morning (because she wanted to hurry up and be done) which I said OK but I knew she wasnt going to be able to hold pace with me today.  Shes a big talker and one of the ones I spoke of earlier that runs her training runs at the pace she plans to run the marathon at; which is fine.  But then to start running 45 sec faster today on training, and with the weather still brutal...I knew.  And sure enough, by mile 4 she was gone...way behind me.  Somewhere in mile 1 or so she said "hard to believe we'll be running faster than this at the marathon".  I said to her "oh so you're actually planning to run faster than you train at?"  I didnt mean it to be rude, but she bolted back at me "shut up" with a chuckle.  I also noticed how labored her breathing was and I thought 'wow she isnt even going to make it to the first water stop with me'.  She did but she dropped back a little, stepped up again for a bit, but it didnt last.

I ran mostly by myself after that and for the most part my mind was on race day.  I thought about the course as I know it, what my plan was and also the hindrance of so many people (45000) starting at once (no staggered starts like at NYC), me in the open corral and how much slower those first miles will be due to traffic.  Plan is to get to the open corral as early as we can to get as close to the front of it as we can.  Our hotel is a block away from the start/finish so I think we're golden.

I felt a bit tired at the end as my last 3 miles were right at or close to GMP so thats not a big surprise.  I hated that even on 12 miles my shoes were soaked clean through with sweat...supposedly this week we are getting our first 'taste' of Fall...we'll see.  I would like to at least run once with my race day singlet (which I bought months ago) before the actual marathon.  I am one of those that unless its in the 50's (and its a short run) I am not wearing much to cover.  The least amount of coverage the better.  So they say it will dip to like 58/59 a couple of mornings this week and I will take advantage of that to get a quick run in it.

I've been training in the same 2 pairs of shoes since about March, alternating every other week, so I bought a new pair today along with a new set of Superfeet.  Will break them in over the next couple of weeks.  Its the same shoe I have been running in for over a year now so no worries there.

This week I see my mileage decreases by a mile each day from all the previous weeks, except I am only doing 3 tomorrow before the tailgating and game day of Texans vs Cowboys (the stadium is going to be SO loud!!), then its 5/5/6/5 for Mon-Thurs. then only 10 for Saturday!  I plan to test out the iPod shuffle on the last long run.  I think I have the playlist finally down pat but again, ONLY should I need it, will I actually use it in Chicago.

OK, I have rambled enough for today!  Going to see The Town tonight!

No comments: