Friday, September 17, 2010

Plan YOUR run...run YOUR plan...Some of the best advice I've been given and that I can give back

When you have a bevy of runners, all women, all Type A (some extremely so), all needing to do 20-22 miles on a hot, humid Saturday morning in Texas, it can get downright out of control...The emails are flying...earlier in the week (about the weather) ... and since yesterday when the route came out (not really conducive to our mileage needs) ... well as I said it can get downright out of control.  :o)   Don't get me wrong, I love my fellow running/training peeps, but wow!

The past 2 long runs I have done exactly the same thing pre-route run.  And in both runs, I had a great training run due to my plan and executing that plan.  I didnt have a lot of people starting with me, running with me or anything like that.  And well..to be honest, I don't necessarily need that now.  Yes its nice to know someone is 'around'...because well, its REALLY early...and a girl has to be on her guard and be safe out on the roads when a lot of people are just coming home from the bars!  And we also run in a highly known running part of town, and the weirdos out there know this...but I digress.

My point is this:  I have done exactly the same thing, and regardless of the route we were going to get, I knew that my 'plan' was set for beforehand.  Now there are numerous emails going back and forth about lets run this way, lets run that way, lets run this slow, lets run this fast...all so that we can have a 'group' together (for safety I assume). 

I know myself and I know that if I agree to any of those things, I would end up with a crappy last long run.  And I might still end up with a crappy last long run.  But it will be because I did something or it was just a bad day and not because I willywonkered off the 'plan'.

Training runs are just like a race regardless of the distance.  If in a race, your friends all want to run together and you're ok with that, great.  Thats the 'plan'. 

But you dont put your own plan and goals aside for the sake of womanhood, friendship bonds, world peace, solidarity or womens suffrage or whatever.  Not in my opinion anyway.
Why SO serious?

Trying to keep up with so and so, or slowing down to stay with so and so just ain't gonna cut it for me.  I know what I need to run pace wise to get the job done and thats what I intend to do...now and in 3 weeks and again in December and again in January and again and again and again.  I also know what routes work for me and what doesnt work for me.  I dont need to run here because of that and I dont want to run there because well...honestly its dangerous, dark and a lot of obstacles and I dont want to twist my ankle either...Like I said, don't fix what ain't broken.

So what if its montonous?  Its 4am in the morning and its hotter than hell for Gods sake.  Who cares who runs where or how fast or slow?  And for the love of God people...its 22 miles...if its fun you arent doing it right ;o)

1 comment:

Jim said...

Good luck with the 22 and then it's TAPER TIME. Even more luck for that