Thursday, September 23, 2010

Its Beginning....

I don't know ... I just don't know ...
Last weeks long run left something to be desired...I was short on the mileage, and overall I just had a feeling that I hadnt done enough.  Yeah the 6 miles the very next morning helped...at first...and even into Tuesday...but now...well now, not so much.

Monday was tough.  I only managed 45 min on the treadmill and my legs were very very tired...Did the weights though and that might have just done more damage...

Tuesday I struggled but made it through the 6 miles but it was tough...and well with work being so stressful right now and honestly not in the best frame of mind due to personal internal battles going on...I just didnt run yesterday...My legs needed a break...

But then now...I am kicking myself thinking the thoughts that I am a lame-ass and because I didnt run yesterday (let alone do the workout) that I am not going to be able to do Chicago...I mean I know I will do it...and finish, but I just have this overwhelming feeling that its not going to go well...I have to get my head back in the game somehow...God I hate taper...

Easy for everyone to say...until its you...

9 comments:

kelli said...

I so know how you are feeling. I am running my first 1/2 marathon in less then 24 days and I am so in the self-doubt not that I won't finish but that it will be a pitiful showing for me. That everyone and I mean everyone (even the walkers will pass me by) Ugh!

Junie B said...

we'll both be fine.

i take some comfort in the fact that out of the 12 of us going, we are all having issues of some sort. a couple of them actual major (injury from falling on a run 2 nights ago for example)...at least it would appear my head is just FUBAR. :) physically if i can, i can...if i cant, i wont :)

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

You'll be fine!! Believe in yourself!! :D

NY Wolve said...

Trust the plan. Trust the work. All of the training has put you to this point, and believe.

Anonymous said...

This is all in your head! You are properly trained and ready for this.

You are going to kick arse! You and I both know that!

Anonymous said...

What? No love for me in your blog list ;-)

Junie B said...

Melissa!! i havent updated my blog list in MONTHS! i will add you silly... :O):O)

Jim said...

Doubts are normal doing taper. The hard work is done. Believe in your training and then crush chicago

Adrienne Langelier, MA said...

The taper is a strange animal...it can be a cruel practice for us distance runners (face it, we love our numbers and always pushing the envelope). For Seattle, I used my taper time and became my own little "travel agent" and it seemed to help.

To reframe positively for last yr's 30k, I read the 5k race portion of a chapter of Kay Porter's "The Mental Athlete" and modified it towards the distance I was running. It's a visualization I did of the course every day. Long story short, my best race experience ever. Not Chicago, but definitely applicable.

Good luck and positive thoughts,

A

p.s. sorry for writing a novella of a comment!!