Saturday, October 8, 2011

Success Story - Nicole

Nicole is one of my very, very, very, best friends.  We met years ago on the music circuit here in Texas.  We weren't instant friends, more like acquaintances, but somewhere along the way, that all changed.  Especially the past 3 years I guess.

Anyway, I just love her to pieces, and if I had to say there was one person, male or female that would be my +1 for most things, it would be her.  The past year or so, Nicole started making some changes to her life(style) and I was pleasantly pleased and optimistic.  But cautious.

I know a lot of people that say one thing and yet....anyway, thats not important.  In addition to getting overall healthier, Nicole had a 'situation' I guess a lot of women just don't understand...I will let her explain...
What is important that for whatever reason Nicole decided to take charge of her life and here is a bit of her story:

***********************************************

Pounds loss to date:  68 pounds

Jean size in August 2010 -    18
Jean size in September 2011 -   10

Shirt size in August 2010  -  18/20 or XXL
Shirt size in September 2011  -  Medium

I’d say I’ve come a long way.  But I still have a way to go.

I had breast reduction surgery on August 31, 2010.  I went from a 38L (yes, they do actually make bras that big) to a 36DD right away and am now a 34D/DD depending on the bra.  They removed 6.5 pounds of breast tissue and left me with over 3 feet of scars.  I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

I matured YOUNG.  Like, when I was 10-11 years old.  By the end of 5th grade I had larger breasts than most of my teachers.  I was always ashamed of them, of myself, because I felt like something was wrong with me.  I rarely wore shirts that actually fit and often wore men’s shirts because I could get lost in them.  I wanted breast reduction surgery since I could remember, and actually had it scheduled when I was 19.  I’m REALLY glad I didn’t go through with it that time because the surgeon I was going to use is a HACK.    

I know some people think that I’ve been able to lose weight because I had surgery, but that’s not it at all.  The surgery was the motivation I needed to start a new life. 

I’ve lost this weight before, you see.  In 2003 I went from a size 16 to a size 10.  I got lazy (again) and then LIFE, LOVE and LOSS happened (along with being diagnosed with endometriosis and having three surgeries in less than three years)and I gained it back and then some. 

I’ve battled food for about as long as I remember.  It offered something I couldn’t find elsewhere and usually the sweeter the better.  When I was feeling sad, I’d have a DQ Blizzard.  Let’s just say I had a LOT of DQ Blizzards.  One of the hardest parts about being fat was that I knew better.  I know how to eat well, I know how to exercise.  I have a Bachelors and a Masters Degree in Fitness and Human Performance.  I used to say that with shame because I knew what people were thinking.

I started watching what I was eating before surgery and lost about 8 pounds during the month of August 2010.  I had my slip ups, especially once I was able to start driving again, but I didn’t let that deter me.  I would get right back on track and TRY not to beat myself up to much about it.

I was released to start light, no impact aerobic exercise about six weeks after my surgery so I joined my community fitness center the day my plastic surgeon said I could.  I started out just doing the elliptical a few days a week. 

A few weeks after that, I was released to start strength training with light weights so I would alternate upper/lower body and do cardio each day.  At 12 weeks post op (end of November) I was released to do anything I felt like I could do so I started going to boot camp.  I hated it.  Pretty much every second was pure torture.  I made it through the month but then I had to take a break because of I had an endometriosis flare and moving was pretty much torture.  I did what I could at home and at the gym and was able to maintain through January and February. 

As a member and volunteer at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo each year, HLSR responsibilities took up most of March and I somehow managed to make it through that craziness with a loss which was amazing because I figured I would gain at least five pounds.  Largest rodeo and fair?  Everything is fried!

I hit boot camp again the last week of March and was surprised to see that I didn’t hate it near as much.  In June I was HOOKED and started going in the mornings and evenings, as many as nine times a week.  I also started rowing in April but as much as I loved it, the weather wasn’t cooperating because it was crazy windy which makes for brutal rowing. 

I guess I got TOO into boot camp because I managed to sideline myself with a herniated cervical disc (C6-C7) on July 14th.   I’ve still managed to continue losing weight though and was released to start back to boot camp three days a week. 

As active as I've been, and I do attribute a lot of taht to the fact that it's a lot easier and more comfortable to MOVE now, I attribute most of my weight loss to better eating habits.  Do I eat perfect 100% of the time?  No.  But its a heck of a lot better than how I ate and was treating my body 14 months ago!


I started eating Paleo in August and it went well until I left town for a trip with the women in my family.  Then I got back on track, then I got derailed again.  I’m not beating myself up over the times I succumb to cravings because I know I can do it.  I know I can get refocused and that I will eventually reach my goals. 

I’m not in near the hurry I was a year ago because I really do think that the more patient I am, and the kinder I am to my body and mind, the more permanent these changes will be.

*************************************************

Yay for Nicole!!!!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

AW yay! So happy to see Nicole's success story!!!! Happy faces

Gaslight ;-) said...

Very happy for Nicole's success! What a great story.