Thursday, July 22, 2010

Its a Fine Line...

Well yesterday I found the fine line...the fine line of ingesting enough food and not to fuel my run.

I woke up yesterday morning not feeling all that hot.  I figured it was residual from the prior evening hot/humid/beyond sweaty run (and it was probably a contributing factor), so I didnt think much of it.

All day long I just felt 'off'.  So knowing I had 8 miles to do, I decided late in the afternoon that I was going to do them on the treadmill.  I just didnt have a good feeling about attempting that run outside given how I had felt all day.

Well 4 miles into my run, well slightly before that, I started sweating very badly.  Like sweat flying off of me and my hair was drenched.  Now this was not normal. I was not pushing it by any means...I got off the treadmill for some water and attempted to try again...not feeling well...more sweat...I remembered I had a gel or two in my gym bag, and knowing already that it was more than likely blood sugar related I ate one.  Along with more water.

Tried to run again...not gonna happen...so I decided to get on one of the circuit machines to do some weights while I 'cooled' off.  Couldnt even do those without feeling like I was going to pass out. 

I tried one more time to run and then just knew that I was past the point of no return. 

I looked back at what I had eaten and honestly I guess maybe it just wasnt enough on this particular day.  Or any day I suppose...  : /

It took me a while after getting home to feel well enough to eat, so I ate a HUGE bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios and then proceeded to sleep HARD for 9 solid hours.  I feel better this morning, and will certainly ingest more calories today :o)

I am grateful that I didnt attempt this run outside afterall as it could have been a lot worse in the heat/humidity.  My hypoglycemia hasnt reared its head in quite some time, but I need to be cognizant of the fact that I still have the condition.  Its even engraved on my Road ID in big huge letters HYPOGLYCEMIC.

You would think that would be enough to remind me.  :o)

So instead of 8 miles, I got 4.  Cie la vie.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Good thing you recognized you weren't feeling well - take better care of yourself and eat more!