Saturday, April 7, 2012

Another Kenyan Way Long Run with a Side Order of CrossFit

Saturday

10 miles with Kenyan Way
Nice 64 degree morning for a change, and probably the last one we have until September or October!

I wanted to be done and over with, so when I got to base I just waited long enough for the Garmin to find a satellite (which doesn't take long with the Garmin 610!) and took off with the written route in my pocket. 

I was a bit apprehensive going out alone, but since I was only about 15 min ahead of the group start I figured it wouldn't be too long before the faster groups caught up to me.  It actually was around mile 3 or 3.5 before they did and at a perfect time too because I had come to a dead end and wasn't exactly sure which way to go to catch onto the street of the same name on the other side of the high school.

I wanted to make certain that I had a nice even run so I had set the Garmin to run/walk intervals today since I didn't know if my right leg as going to give me problems (it didnt by the way!).  I would run 7 min (keeping it at about 10:20 pace), then walk for a minute.  Took a Gu at the mile 5 water stop and turned out to be perfect along with only water (I still haven't had any Gatorade or other sports drink since October!)

A near perfect 10 miles, and worked out just like I wanted since I had plenty of juice left in the tank to make it to CrossFit!

Since its a holiday weekend, they decided to only hold one class today and one class tomorrow.  And not early either, but at 11am.

I had plenty of time to do a few things before heading over, and since I had run 10 miles I knew I was going to arrive during the warmup since I didn't feel the need to do a warmup on top of my run.  :)

There were actually 2 mini-WOD's today.

WOD #1

7 minute AMRAP (as many reps as possible):

5 burpees
7 push presses (45lb rack for me)
10 pull ups (band assisted for me)

I ended up doing 5 full rounds, plus an additional 5 burpees before time was called.

WOD #2

9 Hanging Squat Snatch
50 DU's (or 150 singles)
7 Hanging Squat Snatch
50 DU's (or 150 singles)
5 Hanging Squat Snatch
50 DU's (or 150 singles)
3 Hanging Squat Snatch
50 DU's (or 150 singles) 

I had never seen, let alone ever done a hanging squat snatch, and once I saw it, I knew I needed to practice the move with the bar only before adding any weight whatsoever which is exactly what I did with the 15lb bar.

Then I added on 10 lbs for the majority of the workout before adding on another 10 lbs to finish it out.  Before the WOD started, J (coach) came over and told me that my jump was good but to keep my feet in and hip width apart.  I kept wanting to spread them a bit farther after the jump, therefore I wasn't able to squat low when I raised the bar overhead.  Once I got that, then I felt much more comfortable and thankfully it was before the time started for the WOD.

I finished in 10:38 and that included 600 singles of jumprope!  I really really really need to go to the box early a couple of days to work on double unders, so that I can quit this single under crap! 

Here is a video of the Hang Squat Snatch

 

I'm sad I can't make it to CrossFit tomorrow but the only class is at 11am and I need to be leaving my house at that time to head north to the familia's for Easter festivities!  Food, swimming, washers, and badminton!  I don't know if my gym is even open tomorrow to where I could put together my own CFWOD, so I am just going to do a short run in the morning instead.

No comments: