Monday, December 5, 2011

The Digits

Mile 1: 9:32
Mile 2: 9:44
Mile 3: 10:27 (figured I had better slow my ass down)
Mile 4: 9:35 (I don't know...honestly I think there were a couple of steep downhills here; I can never remember where these are in this route)
Mile 5: 10:13 (slow down again)
Mile 6: 9:45 (wtf? actually started climbing hills here)
Mile 7: 10:27 (figured I had better slow down if I was gonna do the full; miles 6-9 are a constant climb, nothing outrageous just a slow steady uphill with no downhills; it just flattens out before you start climbing again)
Mile 8: 10:19
Mile 9: 10:30 (Legs were feeling the constant climb but here is where I decided lets turn right and call it a day and no more climbing hills!  Unfortunately it was too late to take back the slower miles to get closer to my PR)
Mile 10: 10:20 (walked to take a Gu; LOVE the new peppermint!)
Mile 11: 9:53
Mile 12: 10:02
Mile 13 10:06
8:51 pace for .16

My Garmin showed 13.16 which is pretty darn good.  I've run this course 4 times now (its the same route pretty much for RnR Half) and I know exactly where to run the tangents.  However at way too many intersections and portions of the roads we had to weave onto the median or otherwise go through 1-2 inches of water that had settled and covered the roadway.

I think if I would have gone into this race knowing I was only going to do the half I could have PR'd.  I know the course and I could have gone outside of my comfort zone to get closer to that or exceed it. 

I guess it will have to wait.  I'm eyeing the half in the Woodlands possibly, which is the first weekend in March.

4 comments:

Randee and Angie said...

Ahh, good for you for choosing the half. The full about killed me! I might wear my finisher shirt and medal for two weeks straight to justify my inability to walk!

Junie B said...

I heard the rain got MUCH worse around the lake, and the wind too. I wouldnt be walking today for sure had I gone through with it because I would be lying on the side of the road somewhere! Thanks for coming to dinner in the monsoon on Saturday night!!!

Lauren said...

Hi! I am the person from GOMI asking about the race. Thanks for the naming of your blog, I have been looking for more running related blogs!

Anonymous said...

Well that would be why I never saw you, you were smoking the course!!!! Wow! Nice splits in crappy conditions.