Monday, November 8, 2010

This Might Not Go Over So Well...

But I am just going to get it out....I dont mean any disrespect even though thats generally what I tend to get...

If you ask me questions about...oh I dont know...about the NYC marathon...the course, the lodging, the subway, the logistical nightmare before and after...and I tell you everything I know...and still you disregard my thoughts as 'eh it cant be that tough, she's just a middle of the pack kinda runner; I'm better than that,so I dont have to worry about any of that'...and just to be clear, this was not everyone I know that ran NYC yesterday, but applying to some, not all.

Well all I can say is...now you wish you would have listened to me right?  I am seeing FB posts out there from some people that I KNOW did exactly that.  And to be also followed with 'my first and last time running the NYC marathon' (on their FB status').

There has ALWAYS been the debate on whether NYC or Boston is tougher...I dont know since I havent done Boston, but I can tell you one thing...AGAIN...that NYC is not easy; its fun (after you get past the 5hours of waiting in the cold to start, and the 1.5 miles walk OUT of Central Park after you finish).  

If you dont train right and you dont do hill training, unless you are just THAT good (skinnyrunner :)), you're gonna be wishing you were back on flat land down here in the Texas heat.  From what I am reading outside of SR and my friend Cyndy (also a midpack girl like me  YAY CYNDY!!!  you did everything right girl !!!  so happy you got that PR and that first sub 5!!!), everyone else hated it.  Why?  Various reasons that I can see.  Things that they might not have taken me seriously on...because you know...I'm slow(er) so what could I possibly know?  Did you think I was just making things up to make myself look crazy?

I know a lot of people are whining and crying today over their time, over the logistics of it all, being cold waiting, etc...I think mine went so well is because I knew everything about that course and the experience MONTHS before I got there.  I was ready for anything it could throw at me.  I did my research and my homework.  Too much to do for a marathon?  I think not. 

It just irritates the crap out of me when people ask, but dont listen, and who go into a situation thinking they are the bees knees and then cry and whine over the things they had control over but just decided to do things as they always do.  By the seat of their pants and their 'I know everything about everything' attitude.

We were trying to look up some times on the computer yesterday at the Locker, when one 'person' who works there also who...and I dont know if this is true because I really dont believe most of what comes out of her mouth...but something was said about NYC is tough...and she whipped around and scoffed "New York isnt hard.  I did it back in my prime and it was a piece of cake."... Really?  I hear a lot about this race or that race but I sure dont see any proof of any of that...and the fact that SHE called it "piece of cake" makes it even more suspect.  I just responded with "oh wait...i'm sorry...tough for SOME people.  Apparently not you".  If there is one thing that gets me is when someone is flippant about something as tough as a marathon...any marathon.  Especially this person...like I said..I hear a lot of 'stories' but things just don't add up...

So...the next time one of these people ask me something about whatever, guess what?

Yep.  You got it.

And while we're at it...because I am on a roll today, and because recently I tried to say this but was quickly and rudely I might add, cut off/interuptted...and again this doesnt apply to skinnyrunner, but heres a thought...maybe running less or training CORRECTLY might give a lot of people different end results...I'm just sayin'.  You know what they call doing the same thing over and over again with the same results right...?

And also...now where has all your great and knowing knowledge gotten you?  That's what you get for being rude to me like I am some idiot that doesnt have good sense about her when it comes to running and training. 

Sorry about your race....not.

2 comments:

K said...

I hear you... Chalk it up to their loss, literally.
Some of the best advice I have ever, ever, ever recieved has been from those slow(er) runners. And ya know what, those are the ones that finish most of the races that they enter...

Junie B said...

finish happy ... thats the way they (we) do it...2 people that i know yesterday loved every single moment of it, never complained, got PR's, both of them slow(er) runners and both had asked me all the same questions and did the right training for the course that was going to given to them.

only difference, it would appear, is that they listened and had the times of their lives.