Saturday, November 20, 2010

Decisions, Decisions and a GREAT KW Run

Even with a great week of running, throwing some speed work back in and feeling pretty good, my heart still weighed heavy with the situations going on so honestly, it wasnt until the drive over to KW base this morning that I decided I indeed was going to change my 'strategy' for Houston at the end of January.  I went to the website this week to see what the date was to finalize a switch and then I saw that I also had the option of deferring my entry entirely until January 2012.  I took a day or so mulling that over...but like I said this morning I opted to NOT defer mainly because I knew I would regret that decision come marathon weekend.

So I am indeed switching to the half.  I felt like I needed to make that decision before embarking on the route this morning because why do 17 miles when my heart really was no longer in it.  As I have stated before with my mom day to day, and the fact that I just lost my desire after Chicago to keep going for another one without feeling like I had that big PR in the bag, I just couldnt see going through with it.  I am not the type to just go out to do it just to be doing it.  I would rather go out there and hopefully smash my half marathon PR and be ecstatic over that instead.

And after my run this morning I knew I had made the right decision.  Maybe it was BECAUSE I had FINALLY made the decision that made my run so great today.  I would instead be running the 13 mile route instead of the full route the marathoner's were running.

I will let my splits speak for themselves:

Mile 1:  10:52 (started with the 4:30 group and also the first 1/2 of that mile was on trail = ick and try not to fall down in the dark
Mile 2: 9:59 (left the 4:30 group in my dust)
Mile 3: 9:54
Mile 4: 10:10 (potty break)
Mile 5: 9:56
Mile 6: 9:48
Mile 7: 10:02 
Mile 8: 9:58
Mile 9: 9:50
Mile 10: 9:50
Mile 11: 9:40 
Mile 12: 9:43
Mile 13: 9:15

Um...where did THAT come from?  I ran the first 7 miles with Erin and we met up with Kelly who was going to run the last part with Erin and I ran the rest all by my lonesome, picking off one runner at a time. 

aaaaaaaaand...because I was chatty cathy at base before we started, I totally ran off without my gels and my patella band.  I just left them hanging on one of the posts and didnt realize it until after we were about 1/2 mile away.  So I chugged down 2 cups of Gatorade at each stop.  Although around mile 6 or so I found a Gu on the ground more than likely dropped by one of the Houston Fitters who were running the reverse River Oaks route and I just picked that baby up and oh yes I did...I totally gobbled that thing up at the 2nd water stop :)

So looking at that I feel pretty darn good about Dallas White Rock half marathon 2 weeks from tomorrow.  I know that course is a bit hilly, but I hope I can still get a PR even if its minimal.  Of course I am going to hope and pray for some cold ass weather up there in D town...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are going to tear it up at White Rock!

I know here, that is a historically frigid weekend (We used to host Decker that weekend, it got moved a week later this year). It's always SUPER cold.

you are going to be AWESOME!!!

shannon said...

Good luck at the Dallas White Rock Half, sounds like a lot of fun!

Sam said...

Great splits, and sounds like a good run and the right decision.

Continued thoughts and prayers for you, your mom and family.

Bert said...

Sounds like a good decision - most of us have one a couple or so good marathons in us per year, anyway. You don't want to do too much & get injured or overtrained. Been there, done that...

Amanda@runninghood said...

I'm glad to find your blog. I have some catching up to do on here. Your blog name JunieB caught my eye since I have a 5 year old that LOVES a character named Junie B. Jones. ;)

Amanda@runninghood said...

Good luck on your upcoming race!