Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Get In There and Wash That Face!

ahhhh...words I use to hear my momma say more often than not!  I was always getting yelled at for being all dirty and showing up to eat lunch or dinner with a face full of smudge.  Hey I grew up in the country with more animals as friends than there were other kids and instead of fishing in a lake I fished for crawdads with a string and a strip of raw bacon in ditches...I just liked gettin' down and dirty.

This changed somewhere along the way (I became a girl I guess), and makeup instead of dirt would be on my face for many many years...And yes up until a point I do vaguely remember even putting on makeup to go to the pool.  Let us not forget that in addition to my body image issues I was also very self conscious about a serious skin problem I had in those early teen years and I use to use make up to try and cover everything up and I just stuck with that right on through my 20's.

However that all changed and slowly but surely I would go more and more often without makeup.  In that respect I started feeling more comfortable with the face that God gave me. 

Are you trying to figure out why the hell I am talking about this?  :O)
Well yesterday as I was in the bathroom at the yoga studio, like any other time, there I am in the bathroom washing the work day make up off my face before class.  One of the instructors came in and said to me "I find it so funny that there are SO many women that do the class in full make up."  She is the 2nd instructor to say something like this to me.  And of course I belt out "Riiiight?" 

I mean COME ON...its flippin' HOT ASS in there and sweat is flying off everywhere and running up your nose at times...and to have make up on is just gross.  Sorry but it is. 

I am, now, and for the past ummm...for certain 5 years, completely comfortable without any make up on.  Its rare on weekends you are going to see any on me unless I am going out out ... like not just running around town.  Its the first thing I do when I get home from work...

And so we continued to talk and I mentioned to her how it completely blows my mind when I am at a race, whether its a 5K or a marathon, how many women I see in full makeup AND hair done...and there is even those that are like that on training runs (at 6am!!), at the park, whereever.  I dont just dont get it...for example...at the Houston Half just a few weeks back, it was hotter than hell that day here...and humid.  There is this one lady (who is on my running club and shall remain nameless, but shes older..like older than me :O)) and there she was, as always, with full on make up and her hair done...and not just a little make up but she wears a LOT of makeup.  Like thick foundation kinda stuff...And I saw her after her portion of the relay (yep I beat her) and honestly she looked like a clown where someone had thrown water on her face...it was just gross.

I dont know...never never NEVER since I started running have I ever ran one single run or race with any make up on my face.  No way, no how.  I just don't get it.

Anyone know why?  Do you wear make up (of any degree) and do your hair for training runs and/or races?  If so, why?  Do you know someone that does if not you?  Did they ever say why they do it?
Inquiring minds (OK well maybe just me) want to know!  Huh?  Huh?

4 comments:

saroy said...

Heck, I don't wear makeup and do my hair on a normal day, so I certainly don't do it for running! :)

Charlotte said...

I rarely wear makeup so I'd say about 90% of my workouts are makeup free. That said, if I do have it on and am working out later I won't bother to wash it off first. (Although perhaps if I were doing hot yoga, I'd feel differently!) I def. have gym buddies though that canNOT leave the house without a full face of slap.

Lauren said...

if I have a REALLY bad breakout I'll wear foundation but only because there are cute guys in my running club :)

Anonymous said...

I don't wear makeup to work out, unless it's already on from work, even then it's only powder and mascara. I don't usually wash it off beforehand, because then, I'm either running at the park on the way home, or rushing to grab a machine at the gym.

I barely fix my hair to run and remember to apply sunscreen if it's not dark out.

It amazes me what people will wear or sport for races. I've seen full makeup, candelier earrings, oh and I saw a freaking BUMPIT at RNR SA!