Friday, November 26, 2010

NO! I Don't Want Seconds...Honestly I Could Do without the Firsts!

Thanksgiving is likely not the most stress-free day of the year for anyone, especially for those with eating issues and an aversion to excess.. 

While I realize over-consumption is “normal” for a holiday centered around gluttony and relative sloth (pun intended), I end up trying to defy the “normal” behavior of everyone else.

Let me explain.

I have an issue with people making such a big deal about food—ironic and hypocritical, I know. I’m not proud, but I get quite annoyed with the gorging and emphasis placed on the food this time of year, and tend to harbor a general disgust towards the overconsumption that I would rather not admit to (and don’t even get me started on overconsumption of consumer goods this time of year.)

Anyway, this makes me sound shallow, but I wonder where the self-restraint is at times (and often feel the need to be extra “controlled” as a result.) There are constant articles (and I posted only a few) and commercials about “surviving the holidays” like it’s a nuclear war we’re fighting instead of a gathering of friends and family. There are more features about weight gain and diet tricks than feel-good stories that exemplify the true meaning of the season.

No, I’m not on some high horse, but come on—it’s food, people.

I’m guilty of the “food is love” mentality as well, so I completely understand that side of it. It’s something to be enjoyed and celebrated, no doubt, but it’s also not the last time you will ever get to eat. The holidays are a great time to enjoy a variety of delicious offerings, but there comes a point when as delicious as it is, food is just food. Turkeys are not an endangered species as of yet and green bean casserole and pie can actually be recreated in months that don’t end in “er.”

OK, rant over.  Courtesy of I Have Issues.

Even though yesterday after dinner (we ate around 1:30pm) I was indeed stuffed its only because I ate a few things I dont normally eat.  However, I will say that there were no appetizers this year (YAY!), not even raw veggies, and I had one plate of food, mostly ham.  The remainder of my plate contained one tbsp (not level but not heaping either) of au gratin potates, green beans, butter beans and then rice dressing.  About 2 hours later I took a about 1/16th of the apple pie and 1/16th of the pecan pie.   Minimal.

I did eat again until 7:00am this morning.  Not because I am restricting myself but because I wasn't hungry...intuitive eating people, intuitive eating.  :o)

In other news I am at work today.  Blech.  And blech again.  Even the security guards aren't here.  But the NYSE is open, therefore we are open.  But there are only a handful of peeps here, most opting for taking a discretionary or vacation day.  Since I only had a couple of days left for the year, I am saving them for Christmas so I can have 5 days off instead :O)  Thankfully I am out of here at 2pm today; plans are to go see Unstoppable!!  Love Denzel!  AND we got that cold front!! 

Gonna be a brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-chilly run in the morning!  They say 32deg!  Guess I have to pull out the capri's to run in!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Had this same conversation with my mom this morning. We decided this year to eat out instead of slaving in the kitchen. The place we ended up going was not stellar. And many in the family were so disappointed, like it ruined their Thanksgiving. I said it was an awesome Thanksgiving. We got up and did a Turkey Trot. My son, Ben, did his first running event and it was a blast. We got to have lunch with family. When we got home, we took a nice nap and messed with the bunnies. Then my son had a bunch of his friends over for a football party last night. It was one of the best Thanksgiving's I've had. And food was not the highlight. Why does Thanksgiving have to be judged by the quality and mainly the QUANTITY of the food? It doesn't have to be.

By the way, I ate some grilled Tialpia and black beans before we left for lunch. My goal at the buffet was to just not eat any starchy food. So, no potatoes, no dressing, nothing. I hit the salad bar pretty heavy and enjoyed some baked chicken breast and veggies. I really enjoyed it. And one piece of cake.

Junie B said...

Thats awesome Vic!

Next year...and i havent told my sister about this yet...but for YEARS i have been trying to get my family, both for Thankgsiving and Christmas to forego all the hoopla and volunteer either at the Food Bank, or Superfeast at TG and to adopt a needy family for Christmas and put all our $$ we wuodl spend towards their stuff (we'd get off cheap IMO) but no. its just unheard of to her.

next year? i will be doing both of those things on my own i guess. She wont be happy about it, but thats just tough toodles. I will still save towards Christmas fund as i have for the past couple of years, but that money will go to someone who REALLY needs a Christmas miracle.

Hugs.

Adrienne Langelier, MA said...

I can see your point with the obsession with the "gastronimic" aspects of the holiday, only to be bombarded with ads to "undo" the damage. It does not take a psyc degree to see how that can stress and or annoy us all.

It does take a great deal off of the meaning of the holiday. I'm with Vic, its refreshing to think outside the box.

Neeraj Rohilla said...

Oh Come on JB,
There is nothing in the world(food wise) which can't be handled with a Turkey Trot on Thursday and 16 miler on Saturday (That includes 1.5 bottle of wine, 4 desserts and more food than one can imagine) :)

N.

Divas said...

I agree! My family always made comments about food, especially around the holidays. They cooked it up then made you feel like a pig for partaking in it.

Love the blog and blog name! My dream is to one day run Boston. That's the only marathon I want to run. =)