Wednesday, November 10, 2010

More Hot Yoga Luuurrrrve!!!!

As mentioned after a short run yesterday morning, Tuesdays after work (and Thursdays) are now reserved for some serious sweatiness.  I wish I could express how muuuuuch I am in love with hot yoga!
It was a great session, with me actually doing a couple of poses in the 2nd degree of difficultness..thats not a word but whatevz. 
Today I was doing some 'research' online about the effects on running, at least in the beginning.  I am feeling better about why my running since Chicago Marathon hasnt always been the bestest (meaning speed).  It takes a bit of time when beginning yoga to not have the soreness, especially in the hamstrings, which isnt always noticeable but does in fact have some impact.  Good to know.  Knowing this now, I might put this to the 'test' next week if I can stand it.  This would entail me not going to yoga next Tuesday and Thursday the week of my next long run in my quest to still do the full marathon at Houston.
I dont know if I can actually commit to not doing yoga next week though!  I think I will wait to make that decision AFTER this Satudays shorter long run which is only 10 miles.  What I am looking forward to is a mini-goal I have for right after Houston, whether its the full or the half.  You'll read more about that later!


One of my most favorite poses...the tough part is wrapping your hand from the INSIDE instead of grabbing the outside as so many people will tend to do...I couldnt kick my leg up very high at first, but every time I go I am getting it higher and higher!


This one I am getting better at as well...I still cant straighten my legs all the way out, it really tends to hurt some days more than others in the area where my lower back issue lies (and my left knee from previous running injury)...but at least the 'sweat runs up my nose' which means you are doing it right; which I take means I am upside down enough for that to happen.

Wednesdays are currently the only day where I run in the afternoon once I am out of work.  So with the time change, I looked to see what time 'sunset' was today and it was 5:28 so I started shortly before 5 and altered my route to exclude Rice since its terrain is littered with roots and hard enough to manuever even in the daylight.  Plus we had rain today and I didnt feel like dodging all the mud and puddles.  Today was a good run!  I actually like the fact that I am running as the sun is setting and also that its not 146deg with 200% humidity!  A wonderful 6 miles where at times I was so lost in thought I would 'snap out of it' and think how the hell did I get here?

Tomorrow is a short run in the morning before work (3-4 miles) and then HOT YOGA AFTER WORK!! SQUEEEEEEEEE!!!!  I will make some of the suggested 'adjustments' to some of the poses to minimize the effect on the hamstrings to see if it makes a difference on Saturday.

Now have you entered the Sweaty Bands giveaway???? 






4 comments:

Karen Seal said...

I've heard awesome things about hot yoga!! Great job on becoming more flexible! Have fun tomorrow!

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

hot yoga sounds fun! :) making progress is always fun! congrats! :D

Heather said...

I want to try hot yoga so badly! Did you have experience with yoga before you tried it?

Junie B said...

heather, i went to a couple of regular beginner classes months ago. i didnt like them though. so in honesty i would say yes i went to couple of classes but i wouldnt call it 'experience'.

you would be fine; just do some research about it before going. and go easy the first few times. the goal at first is just to stay in the room the whole 90 min :) regardless if you have to lay down!