Then try Paleo Mug Chocolate Cake cakes!
Nicole had sent me the link for the Mug Cakes last week and I wanted one so bad! Only I didn't have any cocoa in my cupboard! Bah!
So when I did my grocery shopping this week I made sure to pick up some unsweetened cocoa fo sho!
Last night I wanted to give it a try so I set out on the 5min it takes to make this!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 3 minutes
Ingredients (Makes 1 cake):
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons almond butter(or any nut butter)
- 1 egg
- 2 heaping Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons sweetener(optional)
- Chocolate chips, walnuts, dried fruit, or other mix-ins (optional)
I recommend this especially if you have bananas sitting around that are extremely ripe. Typically when I have them, I end up peeling and freezing them for future smoothies.
I just happened to have 2 very ripened bananas on the counter, so one went into the cake.
I did mix in some walnuts that I had on hand, almost added some unsweetened shredded coconut (but didn't) and hey, you could even put in a couple yummy dark chocolate chips if you want! I had some on hand, but opted not to this time around.
- With a fork, mash the banana into a smooth puree.
- Mix the almond butter, egg, cocoa powder, and extra sweetener if using into the banana puree until it forms an even batter.
- Fold in any mix-ins into the batter that you’d like. Otherwise, our the batter into a mug or other microwave safe container. Be sure to only fill the container up to 2/3rds the way because it will expand in the microwave.
- Microwave on high for 2 and 1/2 minutes until the center is set. Carefully remove the mug from the microwave and enjoy hot, cold, or at room temperature.
|Might not look so pretty, but yummy all the same!|
This cake is VERY dense and I couldn't eat even half of it. I took a few dark chocolate squares (I had bought some Sea Salt and Almond Dark Chocolate at Whole Foods last week), and melted them and then drizzled on top of the cake.
I just finished off the rest of it this evening. I had put it in the fridge so it definitely either needs to be brought back to room temp or slightly heating it in the microwave.
Nicole even mentioned making a hole down the middle (say with the stick end of a wooden spoon or something) and pouring a bit of full on coconut milk in the middle. I did not try this even though I always have coconut and almond milk in the fridge.