Thursday, March 1, 2012

And Sometimes, Rest for the Weary ... Should be Considered Mandatory

Let me just start this post off with something that I think everyone should know.

If you work out like a crazy person for 3 hours straight, you need to be prepared for the level of hunger that will be inflicted upon you at some point the following day.

I was not prepared.

Basically what I wanted was to have my desk next to a buffet table.

When I had gotten home from Tuesday's craziness, I had chicken already done, so I opened up a bag of frozen mixed vegetables, popped them in the microwave, and tossed with the chicken that I shredded, added a bit of feta and went to town.  It was enough food at that particular time, and after my evening, I went to bed. 

This morning, as always, I grabbed 2 of my boiled eggs from the fridge (which I boil up a dozen every Sunday to use throughout the week), along with the rest of the strawberries and the last of one of the containers of the blueberries.  This would be my snack today.  And silly me thought it was going to be enough.

I didn't have anything readily prepared to bring for lunch, so I just figured I would buy lunch today at the cafeteria.

Well by 10am, I had devoured my eggs, and a biscuit, the strawberries and blueberries, and began watching the clock for 11am so I could get my lunch (I typically don't eat lunch until 12 or 12:30!).  As I am typing this it is not even noon yet and I've now consumed that as well. 

Just sushi and a few pita chips, but consumed just the same.  I also got a bit of soup off the soup line for a snack this afternoon.

Next time I decide to do what I did yesterday, I must remember to bring more food from home.  A) its expensive and B) I can control the calories, nutrients, etc.

It's going to be a very long day.

****************************************

Surprisingly this morning though, when I woke up, I wasn't any more sore than I normally am after sleeping all night.

Everything hurts every morning.  That's just the nature of the beast.

Doesn't mean I didn't pop 4 ibuprofen before leaving the house.  For good measure of course.  I also looked online at our WOD for the day and after seeing it and considering yesterday, I decided today would be a no running day.

Just a CrossFit day.

Here is what was staring back at me this morning:
  • Warm up - Turkish Get Ups 3-3-3-3-3 (another thing I didn't know so the Coach spent some time with me on form and the movements).  I certainly didnt do 5 rounds of 3.  These are HARD!  I used a 10lb kettlebell.  By the time it was time to stop I was just getting the hang of it.
  • 10 minutes of Muscle Up practice  (I actually did ok with learning the beginning moves, so I felt good about this part)
WOD:
  • 12 minute AMRAP
    • 10 calorie rows
    • 7 ring dips
    • 30 double unders (jump rope)
    • 5 hang power cleans
An AMRAP is done for reps (or sets), as opposed for time.  You move between the stations as quickly as possible.  Once the Coach calls 'time' at the 12min mark, that's it.  You're done.

When I saw it online that morning, I thought only thing I would have to 'scale' would be the double unders.  I haven't mastered double unders yet, so that would mean 100 regular 'unders' if I don't clear any of the double unders.

Cool down is tabata of Plank and Superman.

I am not going to post videos each time, but any of the terms I use can be easily put into the Search feature on YouTube for demonstration.  I had to for Turkish Get Up since I haven't learned how to do those yet.  I knew kind of what it was but not having tried it yet, I wanted to see a demonstration on proper form.

I was (among a few others) at a disadvantage because we weren't fully instructed on how to 'scale' the ring dips, so I lost some time the first round there.

I completed 2 full rounds, and 1 extra round of jump rope (I couldnt get the double unders down right, so I did in fact have to do 100 regular EACH ROUND!) and 1 extra round of power hang cleans.  I couldn't do the Rx on the weight (95) but settled in at 45lbs.  (no whiteboard picture today as it hasn't been posted online)

Baby steps.

I didn't feel comfortable with this workout being I was just confused at the beginning.  Next time we have to do this one (I don't know the name of it and forgot to ask), I will be in a better position.

Not to mention that honestly I just felt 'off'.  I felt like everything was heavy, including just the stupid ring (tricep) dips.  My whole body just felt blah.

When I woke up this morning it was magnified.  I wish I could explain the level of exhaustion that I feel.  My entire body aches.

When I got online to see the WOD for today (Thursday), knowing that the CFO #2 workout would be posted as well (and more than likely the WOD today), I knew immediately I was not going.  AMRAP of snatches?  No thank you.  Unless thats to be done with a 15lb bar with no plates, then OK.  Otherwise, hell to the no.

Honestly unless it was a WOD of entirely running (and that RARELY happens), I wasn't going. 

After several hours at work, I still felt awful and I couldn't figure out what might be wrong.

Then when it hit me, I felt stupid.

Guess who hasn't taken a rest day, let alone an easy day since last Friday?

This girl. 

No wonder I feel like I've been hit by a Mack truck.  I allowed myself to become one of those people that I don't like because they over-exercise and don't listen to their bodies. 

Who cares how much I just paid for CrossFit!  If my body needs a break, it needs a freaking break! 

First and foremost it must be understood that the CrossFit workouts are extremely demanding and will tax the capacities of even the world’s best athletes. You would be well advised to take on the WOD carefully, cautiously, and work first towards completing the workouts comfortably and consistently before “throwing” yourself at them 100%. The best results have come for those who’ve “gone through the motions” of the WOD by reducing recommended loads, reps, and sets while not endeavoring towards impressive times for a month before turning up the heat. We counsel you to establish consistency with the WOD before maximizing intensity.  (courtesy of CrossFit Inc.)

This also is something I need to remember when I beat myself up because I can't do the weight of what other girls may or may not be doing.  Even last night I said to one of the Coaches as I lifted off 2 plates "I'd rather do them right with less weight, than struggle and have bad form with more".  He seemed pleased that I said that.

Guess who is picking up a movie on the way home and then staying horizontal for about 12 hours?

Yep you got it.

This girl.

No comments: