Thursday, March 22, 2012

The "Bear Complex"

Sometimes the worst thing you can do is google the CrossFit WOD on YouTube.

Part of me says 'run! just run today!', but the other part of me says 'face it head on!'

I watched it until I saw how hard it gets after a couple of rounds.

I was going to scoot home after work, change and then head to the gym for a few miles on the treadmill before walking over to CF.

But as the day wore on, and considering the severity of the WOD, I opted to just relax.  My right knee is a bit wonky also which would later hinder my squats during the WOD. 

Warm up:
1 mile run (or 1 mile row): I actually also walked 900m before class to try and work out the soreness of my inside thighs.  Ran with T for her last 800m from the class that was ending as well.

WOD: Bear Complex
7 reps x 5 rounds
1 rep = 1 fluid movement of clean, front squat, push press, back squat, push press.
If at any time in a round you set the bar down (you still had to make it touch the ground, but you could not let it go), you had to take a 5 burpee penalty.

For time.

Cool down:
1 mile run (or 1 mile row)

From looking at the board, the girls had settled in on 35lb, and I was a wee bit worried that I wouldnt be able to finish, or that it would take me forever!
I already knew that my squats (especially the front ones) were going to be lacking in form due to my knee.

I tested it out with the 35lbs and figured that I should be ok.  I knew that if I needed to I could clean the plates off, switch out to lighter plates.  But I also knew that would add on time and probably be more trouble than it would be worth.

As I suspected during round 2 is where things started getting a bit more difficult.  The push presses become really hard to do.  You also find that the best time to 'rest' without being penalized is when you have the bar resting on your shoulders/back.

By round 4, I wanted so badly to clean my bar, but I didnt.  I kept going and just reminded myself that there was no time constraint, and that no matter how long it took me, it would be OK.

I ended up finishing in 12:06 which isn't bad, and that included 15 burpees since I took 3 penalties.

After finishing, I took the time to clean my plates to give my legs a bit of a rest before heading out to finish out with the mile.

That was a pretty brutal mile to run...

Today I am listening to reason and taking the day off.  I haven't taken a rest day from activity since last Friday and my body is letting me know it.

No comments: