Yesterday afternoon my good friend N sent me a link for what looked to be like a yumscrumdeliciousness of a Paleo treat!
I knew immediately that I had to make these! Right away!
I knew I had everything it called for except a mini-muffin tin. I had planned on stopping at the RedBox in front of Kroger on the way home so I hoped that Kroger would have them. And they did!
The recipe called for the following:
- 1 ripe banana
- 3/4 cup unsweetened peanut butter (I actually used almond nut butter; peanut butter is not Paleo. I also used a full cup and was glad that I did as I might have run a bit low for the top layer)
- 2 tablespoons – 1/4 cup honey (use pure honey, locally produced if you have it, which I was out of it, so I had to use store bought)
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil, melted (refined for no taste, virgin for coconut taste) (I keep on hand the virgin)
- 1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon salt (omit if using jarred peanut butter with added salt)
|I actually didnt end up using the bowl; just mixed everything in the measuring cup, but my measuring cup is very large (4 cup size)|
|First layer of the mixture|
|Add the thinly sliced banana on top of each|
I then slid them into the freezer and kept checking them periodically through the evening. By the time I went to bed they were still a bit too gooey to extract without them falling apart, so I decided to cover them and keep in the freezer overnight.
When I woke up this morning, I took them out, used a butter knife to slide down the edge and they popped right out!
|Not a picture of mine, but they did look exactly like this! Only mine were a bit darker brown, probably due to the color of the nut butter as opposed to regular peanut butter|
I didn't eat one because well, I didn't think it was an ideal breakfast :O)
But I had tasted the batter last night as I licked the spoon clean (no guilt on Paleo!) and it tasted yummy! Much better than just the almond butter by itself (not a big fan)
I tossed them into a ziploc and then tossed back into the freezer for safekeeping. I know what my dessert treat will be after I get home from The Hunger Games tonight!!