Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Step by Step, Growl by Growl

6 miles on Monday.

50 minutes on the treadmill today and it was a chore.  I just couldnt go for another 10 minutes.  I was just D.O.N.E.

I'm tired.  After that 19 miler and the stress of the weekend, and today was busssssy at work, I just had nothing in the tank today.  I am slowly approaching that time in marathon training when I am ready for it to be taper time.  I have also reached that point where my hunger levels are so off the chart its crazy.  Ignoring the beast within is a challenge.  I know I dont need all the food it wants, so making sure I have low cal nibbles to at least pretend like I am eating something substantial is key. 

Thank goodness its an easy week on the schedule and there is nothing in the way of speed work and no long run this weekend.  Just an easy 11 miler on Saturday.

Thank goodness because my body needs it.

8 comments:

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

I love how you say "easy 11 miler" lol... thats longer than my long run!! ;) I hope to be able to say easy 11 miler too someday!! lol

Bert said...

Hooray for an easy week!

Junie B said...

@Zaneta: 11 miles IS easy after a looooooong 19 miles you know??? ;o) I welcome the every other weekend stage of the ending of marathon training!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there!

Do you have to ignore the beast completely? I experimented last season with eating for recovery for the few days after longs and it seemed to make a difference. I increased healthy fats and protein on those days and I think it made a difference. I was less hungry and it seemed like my body was appreciating it too. I didn't gain any weight last summer-fall. I just monitored my experiment closely.

Anonymous said...

of course, you are more experienced and have been doing this longer too.

Just adding my 2 cents ;-)

Junie B said...

maybe i will try that melissa...as far as an answer to your question yeah, i do have to ignore. i mean for example this morning...i ate 2 scrambled WHOLE eggs with green salsa, and a about 1.5 cup of grits with butter and a sprinkle of cheese. seriously it was a lot of food. I still feel hungry and could have eaten double that. :/

last night even though i ate plenty of dinner was still starving. the hunger as you know is just so intense ... when i went to bed last night i thought to myself "well this is what having to go to bed hungry feels like"...almost consuming my mind that i had a hard time falling asleep. :o)

Junie B said...

ah experience has nothing to do with it i dont think...this is the first time i have ever trained this way for a marathon(intensity and food restrictions). i gained for the first one, and the ones that came after more or less were barely maintaining, but i fed the hunger. Now i am just much more clued in to having to 'go without'..the taper is going to be ROUGH!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Isn't barely maintaining still maintaining? I guess I don't understand.

Don't throw tomatoes at me, but I dont think you should be hungry. Sometimes it's not quantity at all, but what the stats were.

Last season when I experienced similarities, I worked with it to see what my body was needing. Trying to do the same thing this year, hoping for similar results with being satisfied foodwise and recovery-wise.

Yesterday I was hungry sooner than usual after lunch and accounted it to not enough healthy fats for the day. So I took care of it with some PB on a rice cake. More often than not, if I have a hungry episode it's because I need more healthy fats. Seems silly, but somedays I don't get enough and I can totally tell