Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Night at the Opera Hospital

There is absolutely nothing good about staying all night in a hospital.  :o(

I got there around 12:30pm yesterday afternoon.  My sister and BIL were there but left shortly after and it was just Mom and I.  Things seemed to be OK.  I basically watched tv and Facebooked while she nodded in and out.  Dinner for her came and went.  I had a PBJ that I had brought with me.  I went to the gift shop and got some chips and 2 Nutri Grain bars in case I got hungry.  Ha!  What me hungry after a 19 mile run?  All I had after the run was that I stopped and got a large order of french fries and a Frosty from Wendys there near the hospital.

Well...around 9pm I tried turning out the lights to see if she would go to sleep.  No such luck.  She was wiggling everywhere and I kept having to adjust her.  With stroke/dementia/seizure patients the thing is that as night time falls they become more 'out there' and not themselves.  Their speech is very slurred and they sometimes see and hear things that aren't there.  And they sometimes talk in the 3rd person.  The chair in the room thankfully was a recliner, so I could keep my feet up, but because it wasnt the best quality and I dont weigh much, to make the back portion lay back...that wasnt working...I finally got to where if I laid on my side and pushed my body up on it more I could keep the back part reclined.  Sorta.

Every hour someone came in to do something:  breathing treatment, take blood, assessment, meds...clean and change her...and when they werent in the room I constantly had to keep my eye on her.  She has a habit of kicking all the covers off and raising her gown up...so I kept covering her up with the sheet.

Around 5am I guess it was, after the last breathing treatment she fiiiiiiiiiinally decided to sleep.  I got about 1.5 hours of sleep before I started hearing movement in the halls and I was awake.  I left the room, drove to a nearby gas station to fill up my car, buy some water and a diet coke.  I just had to get some fresh air and out of the room for a bit.  When I got back she was still out thankfully.  She would have slept right through breakfast had I not woke her  up.  My sister texted and said that she was getting ready and if I wanted to, to leave after I was done feeding her.

I left around 9:30am.  I was so tired, so hungry and feeling dehydrated.  Once I got home, I took a happy pill, changed into some boxers and crawled in bed.  Slept hard for about 3 hours.  When I woke up I finally felt like eating and made a super thick smoothie...It was at this time I knew there would be no run today.

No sleep.  No food.  Very little hydration.  Someone asked me yesterday "how do you not get injured with all the running?"  This is one way I stay injury free.  I know when NOT to do something because of every day events that sometimes aren't preventable.  A 3 mile run is NOT that important.  My long run went fantastic.

We need to just leave it at that.  So I have instead done chores, and filled the house with good food once again. 

Tomorrow we run.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HUGS! You are such a strong woman, hang in there!

dixie :o) said...

Woot! I got a mention ;o) Hang in there JunieB