Saturday, August 21, 2010

Games People Play...Kenyan Way Long Run - 19 miles

Start time: 4:15am
Finish time: 8:20am

Starting temp: 82deg Feels like was 87
Finish temp: 87deg Feels like was 93

19 miles

9 water stops
3 gels
1 potty break around mile 10
10 min to change shoes and socks after mile 8

4 hours and 5 min total time out there including all of that.  Not a bad day at the office.  Havent plugged in the Garmin for the pace, but if I had to guess it was around 10:40ish which is perfect.  I had a really good day today...a couple of miles were around 10:20ish and I had to reel it in when I would look at the watch and see 10:08.  Would slow it down till it got back down to 10:30.  I keep it on lap pace not real time so that way I know to slow down or speed  up.  Works much better for me that way.  Real time is sketchy depending on buildings, trees etc.

I had to play a bit of game with myself this morning...altered the route.  Ran a few miles there around base, ran to Crestwood and up Blossom and then headed towards Rice.  Ran to the water stop at Hermann, then because I know that mentally and physically in the past that the Hermann loop can do a number on me, I turned at that time and headed back.  Ran the long way around Rice to make up 1 mile lost and then added on another mile at the end.  Sometimes when you know you are headed back to base its better...you think wow, I am already heading towards home!  Adding on the 2 extra miles here and there seem much easier to run than just running around a loop that traditionally has drained me in the past.  Worked out well!!!

I had bought 2 bags of ice last night and before I left this morning I went ahead and filled up the tub so the water would be nice and cold already when I got home.  I get into the tub before adding the ice.  Easier that way!

Now its time to rest a bit before heading to the hospital.  Hopefully sleeping in a chair tonight wont make tomorrow too uncomfortable for a short recovery run (3 miles)...

Woo to the hoo!  2 more long runs and its taper time for Chicago!!!

4 comments:

Dana said...

Okay...As my mileage goes up the need for a full on ice bath does too, so now I know the trick-buy the ice the day before and fill the tub before I leave.

:D

Junie B said...

and i would HIGHLY recommend getting in the tub with the bags of ice next to it and adding it AFTER you are submerged. I just get in with my shorts on and everything!

Eddie said...

Just a thought JB... I personally dislike some routes because they are personally tough mentally for whatever reason. I do not avoid them for just that reason. Mental exercises are just as important as the physical. I realize you made up the mileage elsewhere but if I make myself do something I hate, I feel like it'll give me the mental strength I need when the going gets tough during a race.

It's just my approach and I don't expect you to change what works for you, I just thought I could add a different perspective. There is no right or wrong here, only different.

Keep up the good work and keep it fun!

:-) ,er

Junie B said...

Eddie: agreed. however in the conditions we are running, at least for me, I knew to make it not a horrible run, I had to do what I did. Had the conditions been better, I would have done it I am sure of that.

I feel like mentally I won having done as well as I did in the heat/humidity. enough mental toughness there to last me a lifetime!