Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Product Review - Dannon Greek Yogurt



I had to run into Kroger last night after working out as I need more 'nanners for more smoothies :)
So while in there I decided to try the Dannon Greek yogurt
At $1.19 for Plain 0% that is way less expensive than the $1.99 for the same size, same product of Chobani or Oikos
And lets face it when using Greek yogurt in a smoothie, Greek yogurt is Greek yogurt

Today though I grabbed one for a work snack (which I just ate) and I must say...
YIPPEE!!!  Its just as thick and just as rich as the more expensive Greek version!!!

I added some trail mix to it and BAMM! 
And with the plain, you get TWO ingredients...the good stuff and none of the preservative crapola.
Now I dont have a comparison right now, but at 80 cal (5.3oz) 0% fat, no added sugar, low sodium and 15g's of protein, this pretty much is as perfect as you can get!!!

I will definitely be buying this again!  They have honey as well, which is my FAV.OR.ITE. so I need to check the ingredients on the Dannon version and compare to my Oikos :o)  ...  Will have to see if Dannon can hold a candle to THAT!  ;o)

8 comments:

Sara said...

I wonder if Greek would be ok for kids- assuming I can mix fruit or something tasty with it so he'll eat it? I hate, hate, HATE giving him sugary crap in the name of a snack, but it's marketed for kids and has "25% less than other brands", so what's an ignorant mama supposed to do?

Finding ok stuff out here is sooooo difficult. I've been thinking about Greek yogurt for a while though. Do you see any reason it wouldn't be kid safe?

JunieB said...

Sara: i have no doubt that it would be fine for the lil one...you can squirt some honey in it and some fruit and i bet he would eat it right up!!!

you might want to ask your peditrician though just to be on the safe side...but i cant imagine something with NO ADDED SUGAR, LOW SALT AND NO PRESERVATIVES would be bad for a child...

YorktownRunner said...

Too be this happy about Yougurt, man. Can't wait to read a post about chocolate cake or Supreme Pizza. Stick to the Yougurt. Keep Up the Hard Work!

Junie B said...

ha YTR! you wont ever see me post about a Supreme Pizza unless I make it myself!! Now cake...so funny you should mention that! I just posted on Facebook that the craving i have today is for mashed potatoes and cake. wtf?

neither of which i have had although they are easily attainable here where i work (we have a cafeteria on site)...

its not the yogurt so much but the COST of said yogurt...at $1.99 for a little container, thats a lot when you like smoothies and greek yogurt in general like i do!! ha!

Anonymous said...

oooh i'm so glad you liked it! i wanna try this version & the yoplait greek yogurt!

JunieB said...

I picked up the Yoplait one, and now I cant remember why I put it back on the shelf...something in the ingredients didnt set well with me, but like I said, I cant remember now why...

Anonymous said...

How is Greek yogurt different from regular yogurt? I have no idea. I always eat the regular one for breakfast. But I'm intrigued by this Greek stuff.

Excellent Half Marathon Adventures said...

Thanks for the review! I'll have to check this out. I'm an Oikos eater but it gets a bit expensive.

Jenn