Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Hill Workout - For The Treadmill

It rained and rained and rained yesterday.  A steady rain, sometimes really hard up until about 3pm.  I knew ahead of time that we were expecting a lot of rain, so I had packed my gym bag because I figured if hills had any chance of being cancelled then I wanted to be prepared to hit the gym straight from work to do a hill workout on the treadmill.

With CrossFit every night this week from 8-9:30pm, my time management is crucial.  I want to at least have time somewhere in the evening where I can relax for a bit, and get some food in me.When we hadn't received an email by the time I left work, I had made the decision to just do a hill workout at the gym, which would leave me roughly 2 hours at home before I had to leave for CrossFit.

I searched online for some sample treadmill hill workouts and found one that I liked (although it was a bit challenging and I had to alter off and on due to difficulty).

Here is the workout (and my alterations noted):

Med/Long Hills
- Set 1: 5mph @ 5% for 2 minutes then 0% for 1 minute. Repeat.
- Set 2: 6mph @ 6% for 1.5 minutes then 0% for 1 minute. Repeat.
- Set 3: 6.5mph @ 6.5% for 1.5 minutes then 0% for 1 minute. Repeat.
- Set 4: 7mph @ 7% for 1 minute then 0% for 1 minute. Repeat.
Short Hills
- Set 1: 7mph @9% for 30 seconds then 0% for 1 minute. Repeat.
- Set 2: 7.5 mph @ 10% for 30 seconds then 0% for 1 minute. Repeat.
- Set 3: 8 mph @ 12% for 30 seconds then 6mph at 0% for 1 minute. Repeat. (I did this one on 10% incline as well, not the 12%)
Hill Sprints (the hard ones!)
-Set 1: 8mph @ 12% incline for 30 seconds. Step off to side and rest for 45 seconds. Repeat x 3. (I did this one on 10% incline)
- Set 2: 9mph @ 11% incline for 30 seconds. Step off to side and rest for 45 seconds. Repeat x 3. (I did this one on 9% incline)
- Set 3: 10mph @ 8% incline for 40 seconds. Step off to side and rest for 1 minute. Repeat x 2. (Did this one at 9mph)
- Set 4: 10.5 mph @ 5% incline for 60 seconds. Step off to side and rest 90 seconds. Repeat x 1. (Did this one at 9.5mph)

Prior to starting the workout, I walked on the treadmill at 3.6 on 0% incline for the length of one song (approx 4min).  Then I jogged on 0% incline for 10 minutes at about 4.4mph.  

Somewhere in the middle(ish) of the actual hill workout, I got so winded and tired that I put it back down to 0% incline and jogged at 4.4mph for a song, maybe it was two...can't remember now, but I know I needed a break.

When the incline is THAT high its almost impossible to not at least hold on (lightly) with at least one hand.  I tried to alternate hands a few times, but mostly grinned and beared it.

One never truly realizes just how LONG 30 seconds can be when you are at an 11% incline trying to run at 9.5 miles an hour.

After I finally got through the workout (which is approx 34 min long), I walked a bit then jogged for another song as a cool down.

To be honest, next time I do this I will alter it even more.  Those inclines are just too high.  I would probably do a max of maybe like an 8% incline tops.  And leave the mph's to nothing over 9mph.  Once I tweek this a bit for the common man/woman, I will post it.  I'm sure it won't be the last time I do a hill workout on the treadmill.

Then I took my tired ass home to grab a bite (pb foldover sandwich), laid on the couch and waited for time to leave for my first CrossFit class....

No comments: