Tuesday, February 21, 2012

CrossFit (On Ramp) - Day 6

In the comments of my last post, Robin asked a) if I liked CrossFit and b) if I thought it was worth the money, so I will address that first.


A)  I absolutely love CrossFit.  I have only been in the On Ramp classes so far, but I am so glad I did it!  I got in on a $25 Groupon and it has been the best $25 I have ever spent.  It not only teaches you how to properly do the movements, but you get a full workout in addition to that each day.  At my CrossFit, On Ramp is a REQUIRED course for 2 weeks and I think every 'box' should have and require it.  Plus it gives a person the opportunity to decide whether they will hate it, love it or be indifferent about CrossFit and whether or not its something they want to continue with.  Additionally if cost afterwards is a determent, each 'box' posts the WOD of the day on their website, and you can do it on your own.  If you are disciplined enough this can work for you.  If the WOD is something you are unsure of, you go to YouTube, and find the movement and there ya go.


B) Yes, I would have to say CrossFit is worth the money.  If you love it and you are going to go the most amount of times that you can to get your moneys worth.  Going once a week is not going to cut it (unless you do a few more days on your own I suppose).  Its very hard and to be honest with you had I been doing any of these days on my own, I dont know how many I would have completed in the manner that I did without the competition of others around me and at the encouragement of the coaches.  There have been so many times that I wanted to stop, puke and/or pass out.  Even like today with a lot of running in the WOD, being a runner I was more optimistic than I should have been.  With the additional movements in the WOD, it kicked my ass.  And even now, with only 2 more classes in the On Ramp, I have to make a decision (by end of class on Thursday) whether to join or not to get a better rate.  Its a lot of money and I keep going back and forth.  I won't go in the pro's and con's, because they're my pro's and con's, and each person needs to weigh into that.  I have noticed a tremendous change in my body and my running due to CrossFit in just a short period of time. 


***************************************

Here was the WOD for today.


We did probably 5-7 minutes of stretching first, then on to barbell rollouts (65lbs for girls) then 10 floor wipers (times) 3.  Here are videos representing each:

Barbell Roll Outs

Floor Wiper (side note: the cast of 300?  CrossFit is how they all got into that kind of shape; if you've seen the movie, you know what I am talking about)
I clearly had to rest between each set of 10x2.  Holding 65lbs above your head and raising your legs to the side is not easy.  After the 2nd round I went down to 35 lbs total weight.  It was too much stress on my disc in my lower back.

Then it was on to the actual WOD, which for some reason had no name attached to it.

You ran 400m, then back to do 21 kettlebell swings (I used 25lbs instead of 35; as did every other girl, some even using 20).  KNOW YOUR LIMITS!  And its better to go down weight for correct form than doing a bunch of garbage with too heavy of weight.  Then you did 12 burpees, then headed straight out again for another 400m.  You did this 4 times.

I thought it was hysterical at the fact that 98% of the people today took off like a bolt of lightning for that first 400m while I hung at the back knowing full well that we had to do this 4 times.  By the time I got to the turn around, 3 girls were already walking.  And it just got worse on each time.

When I came back in the owner/coach said 'hmpf I thought you would be killing it'.  I muttered something like 'pacing.... Its gonna come back to bite them.'  And it did for a lot of folks.  Additionally I completed all my burpees with a FULL pushup, never opting for girl push ups.  I like to make it as close to Rx as I can.  Also there were 3 girls that only managed to do 2 rounds with running, and resorted to the rower's for the last 2.

I made one mistake that cost me about 20sec, as I thought after the last 400m, that was the end, then realizing that I had to finish with kettlebells and burpees!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
 

Lucy killed it!  She's a runner as well (her next marathon is Chicago), Amber, myself and Britney, all runners.  We all pretty much hang together (Amber and I use to run KW together and also work out at the same gym).  Out of the 4 of us, I think Brit and I might be the only one actually joining.

Nighty night!

(p.s. ran 3 miles today in the midst of running all sorts of errands and having lunch with one of my friends at a great Argentine restaurant! So good!)

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Awesome to hear that you are liking CrossFit! Glad it's workin' for ya.