Friday, March 4, 2011

I'm A Little Bit Country....

I got a phone call today and I have to go to New Caney this afternoon to take care of my mom.  I wasn't planning on going until tomorrow but my BIL called and my sister is very, very sick and is at the doctor.  She just needs rest.  Having to take care of my mom on top of it is not good. 

What this means is a change to my weekend long run.  I thought about doing it on Sunday morning back in the city, but I am working at the Locker on Sunday and I won't feel like it after caring for mom for 2 days anyway...

Soooooooooooo that means tomorrow I will be running my long run down a 2 lane farm road (with some ok scenery; bridges to run over etc.,), but not really at this time of year).  I have a 3 mile stretch (6 miles with out and back) I can do, 4 times to make 12 miles (which I am supposed to do 13 miles) but I dont know if I can stomach that.  But it would be easier to put fluids out, so that is what my initial plan is.  I might run 1/2 mile further just so that it makes it 13 miles and I dont have to add on at the end.  What sucks is that its just not conducive for a runner and last time I did any running out there, I ended up jumping off into the grass/ditch a lot because I got scared of the cars. 

At least this will be early enough that there won't be that much traffic. 
Talk about having to get out of my comfort zone.
I'm already kinda stressing about it.

I will just have to make the best of a not so good situation.

2 comments:

Misty said...

I'm from the smallest podunk town in the history of the world and have had to run on rural highways from time to time (luckily I'm into shorter distances so it was never for more than 45 minutes at a time) but it can be pretty scary. I've jumped into a crawfish infested ditch or two in my day. Those flashy things that they sell for your arm work very well, especially early in the morning.

Just from reading your blog I can tell that you have a lot going on. And while it wasn't my mom who was sick, I've been in a similar situation. I ended up not handling it so well, developed some not-so-healthy coping skills, and ended up having to go to a counselor. So, for what it's worth, it sounds like you're handling everything very well.

Anonymous said...

I hope your sister feels better soon. Your family is lucky to have such a caring soul like you.

I have issues trying to plan runs longer than 4-5 miles at home too. Just no real safe routes with traffic or other obstacles or without running in circles.