Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Sleep. Sleep My Pretty...

 
If there is one thing that I do NOT skimp on is sleep.  Not intentionally anyway.
 
For several years I have had what I would call a mild issue with sleeping in that not that I could not fall asleep, but that I would wake several times throughout the night, but again, no problem falling back to sleep.  But the interuption was enough to make me feel somewhat tired more often than I liked.
 
I had spoken to my endoronolgist and my OB/GYN, thinking maybe it was the Synthroid (could be), hormones (could be)...etc. 
 
So basically when I REALLY felt like I needed good solid sleep I'd take an over the counter pill and that would do the trick.  If I had to say how many times I did this, I would say 1-2 times a month.
 
Then when I moved to Nebraska everything changed.  I began sleeping through the night with no issues whatsoever.  Like the best sleep ever kind of sleep.  The only thing that still bothered me was that I was waking up so dang early.  Always by 5am, rarely any later than that, and sometimes even 4:30am.  FULLY rested.  Now this could be because my body had just naturally accustomerd to that time from so many years of getting up early to run, or that yes, I go to bed early.
 
When I started thinking about it, if I went to bed at 9 or even 9:30pm, that was a good solid 7 hours.  I know people that would kill for a good solid 7 hours of sleep.  But even when I would stay up till 10 or 10:30pm, I still woke up early.
 
It is said that the older you get, the less sleep you require, which makes me sad because there is very little that I love more than sleep.
 
In trying to figure out why the drastic change it HAS to be that somewhere along the way I became a light sleeper in that any noise or light would wake me.  When I think about it, that had to be it.  The constant sirens, the lights from the parking garage, the cars and people coming home in the wee hours of the morning, bass pumping in the car, yelling etc.  When I moved to Sidney, it was darker than dark and quieter than quiet.  And I was in a house, not apartments.
 
So when I was moving back to Houston I thought oh man...I'm going to have issues again, but I am here to say that is not the case!  Thankfully whoever built these new apartments did it well to where I hear NOTHING.  Even though the tollway is right there, lights from the other buildings...its awesome.  We have had some pretty major thunderstorms and rains, and I just sleep through the night.
 
Additionally about 2 weeks after moving back I bought new mattress/box spring (love!) and a comfy squishy mattress topper as well (not THRILLED with it but its good enough for the time being).  So I am sure that has something to do with it as well. 
 
I am of course, still waking up super early even though now I go to bed generally around 10:15 or so, but between my body clock and the Nugget who also likes to wake up early to go outside, well its a miracle if I stay in bed past 5:30.  Although this morning we DID stay asleep till 5:30 and it was MARVELOUS!
 
I also have noticed that the heat/humidity/workouts/runs that I do generally wear me out like no other so I sleep VERY good.  I did remember some of the best sleeps I would have was after a long hot sweaty run on Saturdays with KW, shower and then fall into bed exhausted mostly from the heat and sleep like there was no tomorrow.
 
I see SO many of my friends on Facebook, younger and older, that just always post about their sleep issues i.e. insomnia etc., and I just don't get it.  The only time I can say I have ever had insomnia, is when trying to go to sleep and my mind is racing about something and all I do is start counting slowly and the next thing I know I'm waking up the next morning. 
 
I am just thankful that any issues I think I might have, are nothing compared to others that I am seeing.  A few of them actually seem to have insomnia every single night, posting about whatever they are watching at 2-5am or just posting about having it on any given day in general.  I think dang, guess I am not going to worry so much about me waking up after 7 hours of sleep; but sometimes I WISH I could just sleep for like 9 hours like I use to be able to do.  Although that was back when I was in an alcohol induced coma or having taken 4 Tylenol PMs after being up for 3-4 days just so I could fall asleep.  Oy.
 
I know that sleep is so important for recovery of any type of exercise but it is also so important to overall health so I am very passionate about making sure I get the rest and sleep that I need.  If I was having issues like so many of my friends, I'd definitely see a doctor but thats just me.
 
Lack of sleep is just the catalyst for so many things that are harmful.  I've seen it for myself in others with the way their skin looks, their MOOD and overall stress level at the simplest of things that otherwise IMHO shouldnt be provoking some of the anxiety and lack of patience I see.  Lordy. 
 
So remember kids, get your rest.  Its important now and will be important later!!!

No comments: