Friday, October 22, 2010

Not something I am especially good at...

I have found myself in somewhat of a rut I suppose...always running, or maybe once, if I'm lucky 2 times a week going to the gym...always looking for something that would make me feel like running makes me feel...doing my ab work...not consistent though...tried a boot camp thing for a few weeks, couple of nights a week...eh...that fizzled...

Several months ago I tried yoga a few times..just your basic beginner class and it just never 'took'.  I found myself distracted in class, or just uncomfortable for a reason I can't really verbalize....but there is a picture that kinda summed it up... :O)

This is what the first yoga classes made me think/feel like...I was the one on the right :O)

Then at Kenyan Way...a woman that I met (same pace group)...well first off she was just awesome...then there was her body (she didnt get that from running!!)...and slightly younger than I...She started talking to me about Bikram...she is a hard core yogi; seriously hard core.  She would talk to me about trying Bikram/hot yoga AFTER I was done with Chicago...she was adamant that I wait.  So I did.  Once back from Chicago, going through my detox and de-bloating and ran a few times, I followed up on some reasearch of different places I had been doing and finally settled on the place and the start date.

I was extremely nervous, but was assured that I would be a-ok and the place I chose (by others that go there) was beginner friendly.  I did everything I was told to do leading up to the class, and felt like I was as ready as I would ever be.

Let me tell you what I wasnt ready for...when I walked into that room I literally lost my breath.  Talk about H.O.T.  They sure weren't kidding.  Holy schnikes!  I wont go through all the BS, but to Cliff note it, I only got nauseous a time or two and just child posed it out until it passed.  After 90 min of sweat pouring out of every pore and every hair on my head laquered to my head, I had finished!  There were a couple of poses that I couldnt do all the way, which well...of course!  However the few yoga classes I had taken certainly helped, but for those that wonder, you dont have to have ever done yoga to do Bikram/Hot Yoga.  There were 2 girls and 1 guy in class yesterday that had never done yoga once in their life.  And if you cant do some things or you feel ill or dizzy...the goal at first is just to STAY.IN.THE.ROOM.   Its 90 wonderful minutes of heart pounding, sweat infused exercise that will make you feel just freakin' awesome!  I swear!


Having done a few classes now I am officially HOOKED!  I just loooooooooooooove this!  Yesterday I was actually able to do 2 of the poses that I couldnt do previously...I was so excited!  I dont know that I couldnt do them before or if I was just nervous of them, but either way, I did them!  And who knew I could plank for that long?  and on one hand????!!!!  whaaaat?!?!?!?

One of the things that is true and that my friend had told me...it certainly will and can prepare you for running in the heat/humidity.  When I ran on Wednesday evening it was hot...but I was like eh...this ain't nothin'!  :O)

And the best part of it?  I get to wear hardly any clothes!  Everyone knows how I love minimal clothes :O)
Now if I could just find a place here that does this...

So think outside the box every once in a while! Do something that you're not so comfortable with!  You just never know what new passion might be waiting for you!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

they are opening a place near my gym soon, I hope to try it.

I've done regular with my mom before and it was alright, but this sounds way cooler (or not, lol!)

Junie B said...

i was bored out of my mind and not challenged at regular yoga.

plan is AT least 2 times a week for me for the next 5 weeks. i will have to run in the mornings on those days which will suck :O) i loathe having to get up early to run during the week :O)

Priscilla said...

I used to do Bikram at a place in League city. I was really crazy. I would run a long run and then do a 90 min Bikram class. Pretty much spent the rest of the day on the couch. I also got a good book to practice at home as I am so not flexible.

Junie B said...

thats my plan for tomorrow...do the 1/2 marathon relay + extra miles = 10 total then a 90 min class at 4pm :)

we'll see what kind of shape i am in after THAT! :)

Charlotte said...

Soooo coool! I have been dying to try Bikram forever and there isn't a studio within 20 miles of my house. Someday though I will sweat myself silly too. Glad you enjoyed it!

dixie :o) said...

REALLY need to seriously check this out!!!