Thursday, October 21, 2010

Ho! Ho! Ho! Who You Callin' a Ho? :O)

Oh don't kid yourself that its only Thanksgiving to New Years...

It actually starts in October...as soon as the first chill hits the air, people first want make soup or chili, or hot chocolate, or pumpkin spice whatchamacallits high calorie coffees....and then there is all that Halloween candy...here's a trick with that...don't buy the candy until the day before the actual day!!!  Or you're gonna eat it..maybe not all of it, but certainly more than what you would have if you didnt buy it so damn early!

As far as what goes on the rest of the year...well you know its an average of 7-12 lbs that are gained between Thanksgiving and the New Year holiday (and then lets not forget about Superbowl (end of Jan and then Valentines (mid Feb)...its neverending I tell you!  5months of just gluttony if you allow it!  And then even with the same. old. new. years. resolution. to lose weight, only about 5 of that actually gets lost...

So net pounds gained overall may differ, but net pounds gained nonetheless.

Now I have mastered this personally, and its a personal thing for me to do this, but if its that important to you to either maintain and yes, even lose during the holidays it can be done.  And no I don't starve myself or go without...I do practice a lot of portion control and go mainly with BethanyF on this one:  Taste everything, eat nothing.

Don't make the mistake (much like people say when they are marathon training); oh I can indulge, I'll lose it later...you know...after the new year...or after that marathon...it will all even out.

It don't even out peeps.  Sometimes...maybe...

I am not gonna lie, its not easy.  It takes willpower and it takes work.

And if you arent a work out kinda person to begin with...and you want to indulge, then at least get out and walk 30 min a day.  Or take a yoga class once a week.  Something!

So give it to me if you dare!  What are some of your secrets for staying slim through the long winter holiday months???  Or do you just say eff it!?  Or do you indulge at one and not the other?  Come on!  Spill it!

4 comments:

TX Runner Mom said...

I agree, it can be done! I lost 6 pounds over the holidays last year and intend to maintain or lose this year as well. And, you feel soooo much better when you don't eat until you're stuffed!

TX Runner Mom said...

Oh, and my secret? Taste a little of all the good stuff - you can have turkey (no skin), a taste of the sweet potatoes and even a little sliver of the pie - but under no circumstances do you get a big helping of anything. And I did cut out all the alcohol too.

Anonymous said...

I mark my calendar with all holiday special occasions, so I know when to expect them and for planning ahead.

I treat the holidays just like any other day of the month. If I know something is coming up, then I plan to enjoy in moderation.
If it's something truely awesome, heck yes i'm going to enjoy it.

I do the same for birthdays, weddings, etc.

Anonymous said...

You are very right. I ran an ultra marathon and GAINED weight because I ate whatever I wanted. Since then, I have lost it, but I will not make that mistake again.

Love your blog, btw.