Sunday, August 4, 2013

Chicago Marathon Training Recap - Week 9


Got up and out the door around 5:30am for a short 4 miler.  EXTREMELY humid and crappy.  Blech.
And by EXTREMELY I mean it was 100% at least thats what my weather app on my iPad said.  Dude thats TEXAS humidity, NOT Nebraska!  LOL!  Darn monsoon season.  (It's been humid, cloudy and rainy for 3 days now).  I'm hoping its almost over.  Last year at this time I had just moved here and it was just hot and dry.  No monsoon season up in here last year fo sho!  LOL.

Worked from home.  Didn't feel like going to the gym after work day was done (Mondays are full of people that don't do shit over the weekend so they try and make up for it on Mondays and Tuesdays).  Different city, different State, but same yahoo's in the gym early week.

So I hit the basement for some jump ropes, abs, planks, pushups with the stability ball and some overall stretching.


5 miles  


I literally was fighting off sleep at work this afternoon.  I had 6 miles to do, but honestly there was NO way that was going to happen.  I came home, laid down and passed out for 2 hours.  So strange.  So hormonal.  When I woke up I thought well I should do SOMETHING.  I'll at least go walk a couple of miles.
Well I got a mile from home and decided to go all the way to the 1.5 mile turnaround.  Then on  my way back I thought OK, feeling a bit better, lets go a little further to make almost 4 miles.  Then I started basically doing a run/walk.  I didnt have my Garmin on so I just made landmarks to run to, then walk a bit, run, walk.  Repeat.  Repeat.  Repeat.  Until I got home.

Proof positive that sometimes the process of just getting started is the hardest part.  So since tomorrow was a gym day and 4 miles, I did the 4 miles today and tomorrow we'll get those 6 done!


What a difference a day makes!  YAY!  Storm was moving in so I headed to the gym and banged out 6 miles on the treadmill.  Felt REALLY good too!
Then I did 45 min of weights/HIIT.  HIIT's consisted of either speed jacks (25) after each round of weights OR I would do 100m sprint around the track.  It basically depended on what weight exercise I was doing which one I chose.  I did 4 sets on each weights session, with a sprint of either of those after each set.  Talk about a sweaty mess by the end!  Felt GRRRRRRRRRRREAT!

Rest day! 


The craptastic weather made me decide to do this weeks cut back miles on the treadmill.  2 hours and 4 min later I was done.  Since I had to restart the TM at the gym after an hour and I didn't see the mileage, nor did I the 2nd time around...well since I had 11 miles to do, we're going to call it good and that it happened :)  I was mixing up the pace, faster sometimes, slower at other times, depending.  I was going to go for 2:15 just to end on the 1/4 hour (OCD), but I happened to check my phone and saw I had missed 2 calls from my brother and had a text message from my sister.

Never a good sign so early on a Saturday.

After I called both of them back (an uncle passed away), I stayed at the gym, did some soul crushing ab's and then decided well since the weather is so yuk yuk, if I have to be inside might as well make it productive!  So I did some weights.  My shoulders were still a bit sore from Thurs workout and even though all the running had loosened them up, I did weights.  Just because.  Like I said, stuck inside.  Make it count!

Over 3 hours of working out and I felt really great!


4 miles

1 comment:

Karen Seal said...

You had a great week! It will be here before you know it! So sorry about the weather. Also sorry to hear about your Uncle.