Monday, October 7, 2013

Chicago Marathon Training Recap - Taper Week 2 - Overall Week 18


Monday
Still ouchy right calf
Waited until after work (wore flats today!) to run 5 miles on the treadmill
Stretched
Wore compression sock for a couple of hours after while keeping it elevated and resting
The calf felt fine while running; actually all of me felt pretty darn good!
Almost 100% certain I somehow just overworked it somehow on Saturdays run?
 
Only thing I did differently was run a bit faster and increased my run to walk ratio up to 7/1's
Tuesday
No run

Opted to get the front and back yards mowed etc. as there is a storm coming with rain, ice, wind and snow!  Already!  Although it was this weekend last year (OctoberFest) that we got quite a bit of snow and ice, enough to cancel the parade and that is a BIG deal here; they dont just cancel that for nothing!

Wednesday
4 miles before work
46deg
No wind

Wanted to test the calf out on the road.  Probably shouldn't have.  It seems to be 'OK' on a flat, but since I have to run uphill for about 1/2 mile to get back to my house, that wasn't so great.

I am sure it will be fine by race day (praying), and at least the weather is going to force me indoors on Saturday morning for my last 'long' run before the marathon (8 miles).  This is probably a blessing in disguise.

Thursday
3 miles: Treadmill
Leg feeling good; hoping to keep it that way!
Stretched really well for about 10 min
100 weighted sit ups
40 min of weights focusing on back and triceps

Friday
Rest

Saturday
8 miles
Treadmill
While my leg was feeling better, I had planned on doing this one on the treadmill, and even if at any point I thought otherwise, the weather here definitely solidified my decision.
Early winter storm, feels like in the single digits and 40mph winds?  Yeah.  No thank you!

After the run, I spent another 1.5 hours on stretching, A LOT of ab work and then free weights with sprints in between.

Almost 3 hours at the gym on a Saturday morning?
Yes please!!

Sunday
35 min walk on the treadmill at home

We are in full on taper mode now....


1 comment:

TX Runner Mom said...

Catching up on my blog reading! I'm excited for you and can't wait to hear (read) all about Chicago!!!