Sunday, September 8, 2013

Chicago Marathon Training Recap - Week 14

Monday
Labor Day
Gym day: decided to give my legs a break from the pavement
45 min treadmill
Weights
LOTS of ab work
Bear Crawls
Pull ups
Jumping Jacks

1.5 hours total at the gym

Tuesday
Rest 
Wednesday
Alarm went off at 4:30 and I was on the road by 5:05.
Got 5 of my 7 miles done before having to quit so I could be at work early
2 miles extra after work (treadmill)
Thursday
I only had 3 miles on the schedule for today but instead of running, I opted to sweat my ass off outside doing yard work.  Mowing first, then I took not only these huge, heavy clippers to (some) of the tree branches, but then I got to sawing the thicker ones.  Oy.  Sawing is HARD WORK!  I need a chainsaw!

A lot of the trees along one side of my fenceline had a lot of low hanging branches and tons of leaves (thanks to all the snow we had all winter, they definitely grew from last Summer).  I swear I was sweating more than I do on a run sometimes!  I didn't finish up, still a bit more to go, but I'm thinking I'm going to wait and finish up AFTER this damn heatwave up here breaks!  2 more days of it before we are back to normal around here!

I don't feel the least bit stressed about missing 3 miles thats for sure, considering I have 20 to do on Saturday.  Its not like I didn't get in a massive 'real-life' workout.  AND I got some much needed yard work done; prepping for Winter!  Its going to suck SO HARD when all those damn leaves drop.  Glad it won't be until AFTER this marathon training is done! 
Friday
Rest
Saturday
20 miles

I had the alarm set for 3:30am so I could be running by 4:30am.
I woke up, looked at the clock and it said 4:20!!!  ARGH!  I dont know if the alarm didnt go off, or if it did and I just turned it off and dont remember doing it!  So frustrating.  I checked it before I went to bed so I know it had to have gone off but its rare that I dont remember turning it off?
I had 1/2 cup of coffee and about 1/2 pb, loaded up the ice chest and was running just before 5.  It was going to get warm and quick, so I was a bit bummed for the later start.
Thankfully I knew I still had 3 hours before it got unbearable, and THANKFULLY there was NO humidity this morning and a slight breeze so it was more bearable than I thought it would be.  Cold front coming this week so I am SO excited for normal Nebraska September of low 50's and 40's for a change!

I had 2 Gu's and 5 Gatorade chews and a lot of Nuun.  I wasnt sweating at all visibly but I knew I was actually sweating it was just evaporating immediately so I was sure to hydrate every 2.5 miles or so.  Only once did I go without water for almost 4 miles when I decided to run out on Deadwood while the sun was still not up, but light enough out that I felt OK out there AND before it got too hot.  Glad I did that because it broke up the constant loops that I normally do.

I did 4/1's the majority of the way, but a few times I would run a song, walk a song.  Was still averaging a pace that would keep me in check for the slowest pace generally allowed in a marathon.  I wasnt worrying about that today, today was all about just doing the mileage and getting at least 4 hours on my legs.
Came home, filled up the tub with coooooold water, got in (clothed by the way in case anyone ever wondered if I was one that did it which way :), and then dumped 20lbs of ice in there with me.

After that and then a shower, it was 4 hours in the Zoot full length compression tights (I have the ones that fit over the foot, with the heel and toe cut-out).  The best ones if you ask me since you get maximum compression around the ankles as well.

2 weeks to taper!  1 more long long long run and I am SO HAPPY! 
Sunday
Gym day!
The gym is open again on Sundays!  (It closes on Sundays from Memorial Day to Labor day)

Normally I wouldn't do anything the day after a long run of 20 miles, but since the ice and compression pants seemed to beautifully do their job yesterday (I feel GREAT today), I figured why not!?  I thought about getting up and just running a couple of recovery miles, but laying around, drinking coffee and enjoying the beautiful morning won out!

30 min elliptical 
Weights
Ab's
Planks
Jumping Jacks (done between weight sets)
Pushups (done between weight sets)

And today is our LAST stupid hot day!  On to 40's and low 50's again in the morning and 70's and low 80's during the day!

No comments: